Hello from the Midwest~

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korrie

Hello there! I'm Korrie and I'm the proud adoptive mother of three boy rats. They don't all have names yet, I just got them on Saturday (December 7th).

We bought the Petco Rat Manor cage a few months ago, and have been doing ratty research ever since. I got these hammocks from a guy off Craigslist, and the boys from the president (and founder!) of my state's official "rat club". I hope you'll understand when I don't want to reveal exactly WHICH state I'm from.

Anyways, I've got three boys. One has a name: Bethany. Yeah, it's a girl name, but who cares. Gender roles suck.
Also, I'm saving up for a double-unit Critter Nation!

Excuse the phone pictures, it's all I've got for now.

Here's the cage, right after I deep cleaned it. No rats in it just yet.

OkTAvQY.jpg

Here's Bethany and some food! They always take the food out of the dish, so I just took the dish out and put new food where they normally put it.

COuZioh.jpg

This is all three, and about the best picture I can get of all three at the same time. THEY NEVER STOP.

cLHkkG3h.jpg

The two other boys are mostly black, but one has a splotch of white on his forehead and I call him "Little Splotch" or "Splotch-Head" for now. The other one does not and is "Snuggle butt" or "No-splotch".

No-Splotch
IjRut6y.jpg

Little Splotch and Bethany's butt, Bethany stole a yogurt drop and Splotch is NOT happy.
"what the heck man"
i6BtOEj.jpg

Also I have a question, all three of them seem to run and chase each other, A LOT. I never hear any loud squeaks but there's definitely some little "cheep"s when they get caught. I think Bethany gets chased the most. Is that okay? They're not causing any injury, but they just do it.. A lot.. I'm probably worried for no reason.

Anyways, hello!!

:thumbup: Welcome, Splotch looks alittle like my Oliver! They are playing nothing to worry about, they will pin each other down, "box" with each other, and you will hear louder squeaks too, they are going to have to work out who will be the alpha rat. Nothing to worry about usually.

How cute, welcome to you and the 3 precious boys!

They sounds perfectly normal! At this age, they play fight a lot which would not be anything to be alarmed about. Enjoy their childhood plays!

You probably might want to attach your water bottle on the outside as some rats, especially those little naughty ones, might chew on it or jump on it causing it to drop or something, you never know!

Hi and welcome Korrie. Your boy's are adorable.
Feel free to ask questions and browse the other topics on the forum.
Hope you enjoy your time here at the shack!

Thanks for the welcome and answers everyone! I think I'll be starting a thread on the "Rat Chat and Pics" dedicated to the boys, I see that's pretty customary, so I won't be spamming all over the place!

About the water bottle: it's actually on a separate thing, like a chew-guard/hanging thingy because the little outside wire hangy thing that came with it would not keep it up straight. Like, sliding around and stuff.

I don't know how else to describe it. This thing:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... d=12346718

:wel5:

your little ones are adorable!!
and yep, play fighting is normal! as well as the zooming around a lot. babies are a lot of fun
they do slow down eventually, some more than others :giggle:

Hi Korrie! Those pics make me really want to adopt little guys - our boys came to us as big adults, which are cute, but omg the little ones!

Welcome to the Shack Korrie! Your boys are so cute - enjoy them popping and zipping around now before they become man-slug ratties. :giggle:

Back