Hello from Nova Scotia, Canada!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbg

Hello Everyone! I am a long time rat lover! I have had quite a few little furballs over the years, on and off, depending on circumstances, usually rescue rats that needed good furever homes. My 8 year old son and I presently own 2 beautiful sweet boys, Twitch and Spot, who are about 1.5 years old. We love them very much! Recently though, things have changed around here! Due to past experience, and hearing horror stories, I do not condone the selling or buying of pet store rats, for reasons which I know I do not have to explain here. However, I also own a fresh water aquarium, and living in a smaller area, there is only one store where you can buy fish and equipment for these, and I was in need. Although I try to avoid that store like the plague, I couldn't help but go in... and the rats cages were right next to the aquariums! Uh Oh! I averted my eyes and did well, until I just had to peek. Then I was stuck staring, and wanted to cry! There were two glass cages, about 1.5'x1.5'x1.5'each, one so full of juvenile females they could hardly get around, most of which were pregnant. The other was full of about 2 dozen or more babies about 5 weeks old (m and f, advertised as FEEDER RATS!) and a few young adult males. I tried to look away, but then one little black baby with dumbo ears went up on his haunches and looked right at me, and I fell in love! I actually left though, knowing that I shouldn't, but then I had nightmares all night long of he and his siblings becoming snake food or succumbing to some terrible respiratory infection given the conditions they were being kept in. The next day, my son and I went back, and now we have 4 beautiful new little boys, including the black dumbo I fell in love with! I had to save at least those ones! I would have taken them all if I could have! I know it's wrong on a grand scale, but when you look them in the eye individually, how can you not save them! So now, we are the proud parents of Shadow (the little black one who stole my heart), Lightning (one my son picked who is grey hooded with a grey lightning streak down his back), Fluke (tan with pink eyes, my son named him that because he said we didn't plan to get them, so they were an accident, a fluke, lol), and Speckle (a black hoodie named so for his speckly back). They are some of the sweetest rats I have ever had, after only a week with us! Of course three have some respiratory issues! I used to take my rats to my old vet, as I was told he is the only local vet who handles rats, but I was never a huge fan of his care. He did what he had to, but did not have an obvious love for them. I now have a new vet for my other furry ones, who I love, and I trust her with their lives, so I thought I'd call and ask if she does small animals. It turns out, not only is she an exotic and small animal vet, she LOVES them!!! She does the work because she always had these pets, and no way to get proper care for them, so she vowed to make it her thing. She said if she could make it her whole practice, she would! Can you believe that?! What luck! I had all four babies in for a complete check-up (she handled them like they were her own babies!), and I now have 3 of the four (the ones sneezing a lot) on amoxicillin. They've been on it for 2 days, and already there is a noticeable improvement. She wants them on it for 10 days, but the meds are good for 2 weeks, so they will stay on it for that long. From my research in the Rat Health Care Book, they should be on it for longer than 10 days. I will say though, that the greatest way to instantly train your rats to be social is to give them meds that taste like sweet bananas 2 times a day! Nothing is cuter than babies crawling all over you trying to get to the syringe and bottle! A very giggly time indeed! Anyway, these little guys are in a temporary cage for now (a large dog crate) until I can find them a more permanent home, but they seem to enjoy it just fine. They get many playtime opportunities in the tub with us everyday. Their cage is set up right next to it for easy socialization. I will post some pics that I took, although, WOW, are baby rats ever hard to photograph!!! I am sure I will have some questions and stories to share, and I look forward to chatting with some of you, and learning more about these very special little critters! .... hmmmm, trying to figure out how to post pics, but I can't seem to get it. I'll post this first and see about posting pics after. :thankyou:

:wel5:

That is why I don't go into pet stores :(

I don't know about fish supplies but here is a great site for rattie things, including food (Harlan Teklad 2014) http://www.chinchilla.ca/store.php

If you post pictures to a site like photobucket, you can past the link to each photo on here

Congrats on your new ratties

I know! I should just stay away! I get all my rat supplies at the local Shurgain feed store, so I don't have to buy from the bad guys for that stuff. It's only the aquarium stuff, and even then, only when I absolutely have to. I think I must find a way to avoid even that though. I keep seeing all those beautiful babies, having babies, and suffering and dying! Terrible what they do!

I'm not terribly knowledgable about computer stuff, so I don't even know what photobucket is or means, lol! I tried to post to an album on here, but it says my pics are too big, so now I have to figure out how to shrink them. I'm terrible at this stuff!

I give up! I can't sign up without a zip code, and I am in Canada, so it won't work! Oh well. I'll just have to tell everyone how awesome my babies are with words instead of pics. (o:

Welcome! I'm from Nova Scotia, Canada as well. A pet stores near me I find are great. I only go to the though they have employees there that actually care for all the animals and always are interacting with the animals and cleaning cages. They actually take the time to inform you on the animals and stuff, when I adopted a girl there they made sure I had others at home and a big enough cage they also recommended the double critter nation unlike most that recommend hamster cages. A few own rats and have friends that do.

I know many don't like pet stores, which is completely understandable. I myself online wise have not been able to find many online stores that ship to NS though some ship to Canada just not NS. If you have some websites with reasonable prices for animal things that you could recommend that would be great!

Nice to meet a fellow Nova Scotian, Briana! Yes, I think if those stores have good workers who care about the animals genuinely, they are well cared for. But what happens when those employees leave, and the next workers are better with reptiles than rats? Then how will they be cared for in that store? The problem is with the stores themselves, and how they base their business solely on profit, and not the love and care of the animals. So nice for the animals in the store you speak of who have people looking out for them at least! The stores suck, but certainly, some people make up for that! I don't usually get my supplies online, but I have just made an order to get the lab blocks food through http://www.chinchilla.ca/, as recommended on here. It's way cheaper than what I get around here, and a much better diet for them. They also have other small animal supplies. They have not rejected my order yet, although I just made it today, but I am assuming they ship to NS! I make all of my boys toys and hammocks myself, and use fleece for bedding, which I get from cutting up old blankets from thrift stores. I found that my rats chew up expensive hammocks and nests, and that got expensive, so I just make them out of old clothes, faceclothes and towels, etc. Pant legs are great hidey tunnels with two ropes running through! Supplies for me are mostly what I can find that works! Buying stuff gets too pricey, I find. Anyway, glad to know another Nova Scotian Rat Fan! (o:

For photobucket, just put in your postal code, without any spaces where it says zip code and it will let you register

As for pet stores, I have been told by employees and managers 'If people didn't like what we do, they wouldn't shop here",
so just one more reason for me not to support them

Flowertown is in Ontario and ships all over Canada. I usually phone them and pay with my credit card over the phone.
If they have what I want in stock, it usually arrives within a few days. They are a small operation and great to deal with. :)

Thanks SQ! I'll try the postal code with no spaces. I will say that after what I saw in that store, and what I took those babies out of, I will not be going in there ever again! If I need aquarium stuff, I will wait until I make a trip to the city and go to an aquarium shop. As for rat food, I usually go to my Shurgain feed store locally, living in a rural area, but I have read on here that the food is not the best. I have now ordered the lab blocks, and this is what my boys will eat from now on. I want to do something about what I saw in that petshop, but I don't even know where to start! The thing is, they all had food and water, and their cages are cleaned daily, so legally they are not doing anything wrong, but that many in such a small space, and all those pregnant girls, and even worse, all the 5-6 week old girls in the other cage with the boys! Those babies are going to be having babies before they are even full grown! It's a terrible shame, and it makes me so sad! :(

Me too :(
We need to work to change the laws
Until then I try to rescue rats in need without creating a demand for more
But I think at one time or other we have all bought rats from a pet store

Anyway, Welcome!

Thanks Jorats! I am so glad to have a place to go for advice and info! This is a great site! Pics will be posted soon of all my sweet boys! (o:

Since buying rats from a pet store creates demand, it encourages them to breed more and they are just replaced. So I just rescue rats from other bad situations which doesn't increase demand.

Though I know it was out of compassion, and those ratties sure are lucky to now be in a loving home with you. <3

Back