Hello from Arizona!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sgreene9398

Hello everyone! I am lucky Daddy of 5 females, 3 PEWs and 2 Hoodies. Unfortunately my first girl that I rescued named Ratatouille has been diagnosed with PT and we just started her on Prednisone, it's a sad day here in the house. All we are doing know is keeping her life comfortable, healthy and full of love until her time comes to cross over the bridge. I just hope the Prednisone will give her more time and happiness with us. On a lighter note here are my girls that wanted to say Hello to everyone!

Ratatouille!

image.jpg

Welcome to the Rat Shack!
I'm so sorry about Ratatouille. Have you considered trying cabergoline or bromocriptine which will slow and sometimes shrink pituitary tumours.
Your rats are adorable. Those babies look very young, almost too young to be alway from mom yet.

Sorry your going through PT its just dreadful. You'll need to make sure to keep her feed and hydrated which will probably need syringes.

Thank you everyone! As for Ratatouille the vet put her on Prednisone to shrink and slow the PT. I'm hoping it works for her.

The baby's were only 4 weeks at the time those pictures were taken and I hand fed them another 2 weeks. They are now happy little terrorizers and 8 weeks old.

Welcome to the Shack. I'm sorry you are dealing with a PT. It is never pleasant. Enjoy the time you have left with your lady. The rest of the gang looks great! Have you started introductions with the babies yet?

Thank you Joanne, I have not introduced the new babies yet, first off I would hate to stress Ratatouille with her PT and when she passes I don't want the babies to have to go through losing her. It also seems Peanut is aggressive towards the babies, when Peanut comes out of her cage she goes straight for the baby cage and hisses at them while trying to nip them. She has gotten ahold of a toe and a tail so far so she is restricted to the bed where she cant get to the babies. Ratatouille just ignores them but Buttons enjoys playing with them until they get on her nerves then she goes off to do her own thing with the colony.

Ratatouille has been hand fed since the start of her symptoms with mushed blocks with water and ensure in a syringe as well as baby food, diced watermelon, cantaloupe, honey dew every 3 hours and gets a spoonful of cottage cheese twice a day to keep her weight up and hydrated. She is living out her days as a Queen.

Welcome to the Rat Shack!
I'm so sorry about Ratatouille. Have you considered trying cabergoline or bromocriptine which will slow and sometimes shrink pituitary tumours.
Your rats are adorable. Those babies look very young, almost too young to be alway from mom yet.

Jorats, can you give me more info on Cabergoline and Bromocriptine? Is Prednisone as good as these? I'm up for anything that will help Ratatouille.

Hi Sgreene, sorry I didn't see this sooner. My rat Matilda lived for a very long time with PT. She lived a full year very happily, and didn't even need to be fed mushy food until her last few weeks. She died oh so very peacefully, just fell asleep one day entirely out of the blue. You can see her last PT year here: http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28219

A rat living so happily and for so long with PT is extremely rare. Our success was due to a combination of drugs that worked well(Prednisolone AND bromocriptine) in her case, luck, and an extremely early diagnosis. I'm not trying to make you any promises that might not keep through, but the best way to really raise your chances of the most happy time with your baby is definetly by treating the tumor with a comination of prednisolone+ bromocriptine or cabergoline.

This is how I understand the situation of a PT:
A PT is a tumor on the pituitary gland, at the base of the brain. While small, the tumor might not cause any symptoms, but then the second it puts pressure on the brain it does. That is why sometimes PT symptoms show up "overnight".

A lot of the symptoms of PT are due to swelling of the brain tissue around the tumor, putting pressure on the brain, and not the actual tumor itself. By giving a rat the drug prednisolone or prednisone, you retard the rat's immune system and inflammatory response to the tumor, reducing that swelling and therefore removing or lessening the symptoms.

It is important to remember that this is a temporary solution, because the drug does not affect the tumor itself. The tumor continues to grow, and after a while, depending on it's growth rate which varies, it in itself will cause pressure on the tissue and even the largest doses of prednisolone won't help.

Another thing to note is that prednisolone or prednisone reduces the entire immune system, to reduce that swelling. Because of that, the rat is often unable to fight off other infections. Many veterinarians prescribe a warning dose of baytril, an anti-inflammatory antibiotic, to be given to the rat to stop any infections before they set in.

So prednisolone/prednisone stops symptoms and increases comfort to the rat, but it does not stop or slow the growing of the tumor itself. To do that, the drug bromocriptine OR cabergoline is used. Cabergoline is more expensive and harder to find, but some users have better luck with it. Which you use is entirely up to you and how your rat reacts to it, but it is important to start treatment as early as possible. I suggest you give Bromocriptine a try, just because it is usually easier to find and cheaper(I got mine from the local CVS in pill form. I crushed the pills myself and mixed with some liquid. This "at home compounding" is much cheaper than having the drug compounded at a special pharmacy.).

Another drug some users use for PT is dex, if I'm not mistaken. It is usually only given in very dire situations when nothing else seems to be working, however. It is kind of the miracle drug, because it can be a kind of last-try-before-putting-to-sleep injection that allows some rats to jump back leaps and bounds for a small amount of time. From my understanding, dex does something similar to prednisolone/prednisone.

So that is PT as best as I can explain it, from what I understand. I can tell you already have a pretty good knowledge of this horrible thing that happens to our babies, but I hope maybe you gained something from my post. I also really, really hope that you give the prednisolone+bromocriptine combo a try, as it is the only way to ensure the longest/happiest life after finding out about PT. As you can tell from my thread, I went in entirely clueless but thanks to the awesome members of this website, and by pushing my vet to try these methods, my Matilda had almost record-breaking success with one of the most feared diagnosis our pets can get.

Thank you Aida. Unfortunately Touille was diagnosed late in the PT stage, as she did not show the symptoms of a PT for two weeks but we knew something was up because she had stopped eating or drinking. She never was able to eat or drink on her own ever since.

Now she is even refusing to eat and drink by hand and almost have to force her meds which was never a problem for her before. Touille may be starting her journey over the bridge soon.

I'm so sorry. :(

There may still be a chance, but if not, you should look into proper euthanasia techniques for a rat. I know from the other thread that there aren't any rat vets in your area. It might be time to call a couple and just ask how they would euthanize a rat, and to pick the one that does it correctly or that is willing to do it correctly based on your recommendations. Proper euthanasia is discussed here:http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7652

Fingers crossed for your little baby. Maybe the other members will reply with an idea. PT can be a battle of ups and downs. If you still wanna give it a shot, dex and large enough doses of pred and bromo can do absolute wonders even at the last minute. Can I ask what dose you give her?

Thank you Aida, I will have to call my exotic vet that prescribed her prednisone and see about adding the others to her meds. She is currently on .07ml of prednisone it seemed to help after a few days she was able to grasp with her hands again but it worries me with her sudden loss of appetite and when she does eat it's a small about and very slowly when before she would devour her baby food and want more. Can you give me the full names of the medication so I can call her Vet. Thanks again Aida!

You're absolutely welcome. More members may see this topic if you make a separate thread, something about PT. We have a lot of members much more knowledgeable than I, that can help even more.

Bromocriptine: http://ratguide.com/meds/central_nervous_system_drugs/bromocriptine_mesylate.php
Cabergoline: http://ratguide.com/meds/central_nervous_system_drugs/cabergoline.php
Prednisolone/Prednisone: http://ratguide.com/meds/endocrine_hormones/prednisone_prednisolone.php
Dexamethasone: http://ratguide.com/meds/endocrine_hormones/dexamethasone.php

In your case, it is already severe and you should use the highest dosings recommended on that website. Do you know the concentration of your prednisolone?
It should be written on the bottle, in a _mg/ml format.

Back