Hello from a rat mommy in Chicago

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbrown92390

Hello everyone. I live in Chicago Illinois and I have four rats: two adult intact males Artemis and Badger who are very sweet boys who have never been aggressive towards each other, and two intact 8 week old males Smeagle and Dobby also very sweet and very curious. The reason why I joined the board was because I am still relatively new to rat care giving (Artemis and Badger are a year and 1/2 and they are my first rats I adopted them when they were six weeks) and I always think of new questions that I just cannot find the answer to no matter how much research I do. So my question of the day is: I have begun the introduction process between the adults and the babies. They have had no face to face time yet and today is the first day of cage swapping. When I put the adults in the cage where I was keeping the babies they did not act very aggressively. They started wandering around smelling everything (to get the babies sent) and then started to brux and boggle like crazy. My question is, how should I interpret this behavior?

Welcome!

Are the cages similar? The bruxing and boggling could be due to stress of being in a new cage.
At 2 months the babies don't really have the rat smell so they are definitely not a threat to the old boys. It does sound like you have sweet gentlemen rats, I'm betting your intros will go smoothly enough.

No the adults normally live in a large 3 level super pet exotics cage (1/2 inch bar spacing) and I have put the little ones in what I call the (pack 'n play) which is the adults travel cage and is the standard petco rat cage. I did not know that rats brux and boggle out of nervousness as well as out of happiness. Could you tell me more about that?

Back