Hello finally! And advice needed re neuter and intros

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rattieluvr

I admit it, I’ve been lurking! Lol! I have found the info in this group to be extremely helpful!

My first ratties, Deezle and Tucker, were beautiful black dumbo boys from a breeder. Tucker was a Rex. Both boys died from what I believe were PTs, about 2 months apart. They were brothers, but after about 6 months of age, had to be separated. Tucker wasn’t allowing Deezle to eat or drink, and they were fighting and drawing blood. Not bad damage thankfully. They died at 19 and 17 months respectfully.

While I still had Deezle, 2 little rattie boys came up for adoption at our local Humane Society. I’m in Oshawa, Ontario. I adopted them both. After about a month, I made the mistake of letting Deezle climb on the cage where the little guys were. Well, he bit the end of Champs toe off! Poor little guy. I was starting to intro in the bathtub. I was too afraid to re-intro them, so Deezle kept his section of the CN, and Jet (black Berkshire) and Champ (cream colour) shared the other “apartment”. Jet passed away in July at 20 months of age, again due to a suspected PT. Champ is still doing great!

The week after Jet passed, 21 ratties were surrendered to the Humane Society, 2 mommas and 19 babies! I had to go look, didn’t I? Lol There were 4 males and 11 females left for adoption (both mommas got adopted - yay!). My husband and I discussed, and decided to get 2 more boys. I couldn’t decide, so came home with all 4. They are a hoot! Simon and (Curious) George are both Rexes, Simon black and white hooded, George is Agouti. Tiny is a black Berkshire and Crackers is a cream colour, like a soda cracker.

That’s my story up-to-date. I haven’t started intros yet and, quite frankly, the thought terrifies me! Champ is 21 months and was always very submissive to his brother. The babies are about 12 weeks old. I was thinking of getting the 4 babies neutered, hoping for some longevity and mild, easy-going temperaments.

I’m very unsure how to proceed from here regarding neutering and intros. Should all 4 get neutered at once, or do they need to be separated for recovery time? Should I start intros now or wait until the neuters are done? Will neutering help the way I hope it will? Any and all advice is very much appreciated!

Sorry for the long read!

Rattieluvr

Owned by Champ, Curious George, Simon, Tiny and Crackers
And angels Deezle, Tucker and Jet
❤️❤️

Aw, your family sounds precious. Intros are harder with boys. Its much easier to intro girls to boys. In our house when the boys start "misbehaving" get hormonal - which is what happened with your first two - they get the snip snip. Usually that brings the harmony back and they can live together again. PT - ugh, that is such a horrible disease. Its hereditary and neutering can help prevent it. I have not had a PT rat in any of my neutered boys. I have had a PT rat in a spayed girl, but she was spayed late in life. The earlier the neuter/spay the better if that is what you want to do.

Thank you dspch911! I’ll be calling the vet on Tuesday (long weekend here) to book appointments. Should the boys be separated after neuter or can they still bunk in together? That will decide if I can get them all done at once or not (depending on the vet’s schedule as well). I don’t have enough cages to separate 5 ratties. Would you suggest having my older boy neutered as well? Scary when they get older.

Looking forward to less testosterone in this household! 5 ratties, 3 dogs (all neutered) and a husband.

They will need to be separated for a few days. They will tell you something ridiculous like 2 weeks or more, but I usually put they together after 3-4 days if there are no complications. Make sure they send you home with a bottle of metacam and tramadol for pain (no prefilled syringes). As long as you keep them pain free they will not try to get to the wound site. If they are stretching and sucking their sides in - you will know it if you see it - we call those owie stretches - that means they are in pain. Do not let them give buprenorphine hydrochloride during surgery. I let my vet give them that only as a pain shot after the surgery.

Personally, I would not do surgery on a rat that old unless it is absolutely necessary. Has he gotten mello in is old age. People say putting older rats under anesthesia can bring on PT, plus I just don't think they do that good in recovery. So I wouldn't if I didn't have to.

Best place to look for advise if you need it asap is ratguide.com

Thank you both for your replies!! I’ve started intros in the bathtub. Champ, my older rat, first met with each “baby” separately, then two together. Haven’t done 4 together yet. I don’t want to overwhelm him. Is this ok? Or do you think I should be doing something different. This whole process makes me nervous and I appreciate any and all advice! They were all good with initial intros. Little bit of holding down and grooming, but all good.
I have a vet appt for the little ones next Monday. Checkup prior to neutering.
Thank you in advance for any advice!

Back