Heat or something else?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chel

My older girl Dahlia is concerning me. I feel bad, working full time and school part time Rats have been receiving less attention then they deserve, although it will all be over soon! Anyway when I picked Dahlia up for a snuggle today after class I noticed she has some blood on her belly. she is a black berk so I don't know if there is blood anywhere else and I checked her over thoroughly for any wounds but I don't see any. It is not a lot of blood, quite diluted really. She also looked like her..ahem...lady parts were really wet like she had just peed but also the fur is all roughed up. Could this be heat or is it something else? I've never noticed this on any of my girls before and she hasn't been ear wiggling or anything... There aren't a lot of good rat vets around here I'm noticing (now located in Hampton N.B.). Dahlia has been more aggressive in the last 2 months, since I moved back into my mothers house, I figured it was just stress from the move but she hasn't calmed down, still power grooming everyone and a lot of squabbles. I don't want to separate them, no one has been hurt, I just thought this might be related.. rat menopause? Anyway let me know what you guys think! Thanks

I agree with Dahlas... If it's a bladder infection, she really needs meds, it can cause quite some discomfort or get worse. This could also be why she's been more grumpy.
Worst case would be a uterine infection or tumor in which case she would need a spay.

Especially with the blood being diluted, its most likely diluted in urine, so it sounds like a urinary tract infection or UTI. You will need a vet and antibiotics but UTI's are very curable :)

I recently dealt with two rats with this back in January, definately any blood a vet visit is required. They will most likely give you course of antibiotics which if it's a bladder infection it will clear it up right away.

Good Luck!

Kind of late & useless but another vote for UTI nevertheless.
And hopes & prayers for Dahlia. She'll be ok when she gets the meds, just hopes for her comfort :)

Back