Heart Murmur- RIP little man :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smilez_n_hugs

One of my boys, Cane who is 18 months old and I have since birth was diagnosed with a pretty serious heart murmur this week :(

My vet has been in contact with the University of Guelph vets and has prescribed enalapril and lasix which will hopefully give him a bit longer. So I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with heart murmurs in rats? Or any suggestions for my vet?

I have no experience nor any helpful info sorry but I am curious, what does the vet think is causing the murmur? a valve problem?
is he in congestive heart failure?

I have heard that some rats in CHF have done very well and had a decent amount of quality time on meds
if that helps any
:hugs:

There is a very high rat of heart problems in rats in the maritimes.
I have had a lot of rats with heart problems ... chf as well as other types of heart issues.
Burrell was 9 months old when he was diagnosed with conjestive heart failure (chf). He lived a good active life for about 8 more months. Aaron died last Dec shortly after he turned 1 year old from a heart attack (I finally got his narcropsy back on Friday).

I don't know about heart mumurs, but
If your rat has a heart problem, then he needs to be on:
1. a beta-blocker such as atenolol (1 mg/454.4 g, twice a day)
2. an ACE inhibitor such as enalapril (0.25 mg/454.4 g, twice a day) or benazepril
3. furosemide, brand name lasix (beginning dose 1 to 2 mg/454.4 g, twice a day)

4. and if you do an xray and the heart is enlarged, then digoxin ( 0.0025 mg/454.4 g, twice a day) is added to the above drugs. An xray is done if the other heart meds are helping so you will know if digoxin needs to be added.

(Info from the Rat Health Care book (see book section of http://www.ratfanclub.org for ordering info., just ignore the small section on home euthanasia as it is inhumane)).

It must be quite a serious murmur to have been detectable. Their little hearts beat so fast that (I've been told) it's usually difficult to tell if there is something abnormal.

Good luck to your sweetie, and please keep us posted.

I have lost a few with heart problems.....Mine always seems to be males that get big fast and stay big....I am trying MUCH harder to keep my males, especially young males, leaner.....Good luck to your boy..

lilspaz68 said:
How is Cane doing right now? Does he have the cool extremities, losing weight (or gaining), and lethargy?

Definitely cool extremities, weight loss and lethargy :( I am picking up the meds today (the pharmacy took a while to compound them).

And thanks for all the info SQ!

Shoppers Drug store has formulas and know how long each med is good for once mixed up.
That is where I get my perscriptions for heart meds filled.

Great news that the meds are helping!

You will want to talk to the vet about adding a beta-blocker such as atenolol (1 mg/454.4 g, twice a day)

Glad he's perking up a bit, hope he continues to improve more, good luck to you!

Can you keep us updated on his progress? I am very curious as to the improvements. I have never had a successful outcome with a heart condition yet, but the one boy who did respond had been sick for a long long time before I got him...and his heart was too damaged.

His extremities are definitely getting better circulation but his breathing is still laboured (I think it's better than it was). He's more aware and is back to cuddling with his brother rather than sleeping alone. I talked to the vet about the beta blocker and she is going to check into it before prescribing it.

Sadly we had to take Cane to be pts this weekend. He took a turn for the worst Saturday night and was having trouble breathing. I'm so sorry little man play hard with Beau and Bentley :heart:

Back