Head-tilt and medicine

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ichigo

Hi! Im new here and looking for help with my sick rat Amy.
Amy got Head-tilt in the beginning of October. She had one round of batryl 0.08ml a day(I dont know if thats what you call it in english)
That was quiet easy to get her to eat, but it didnt help and we went back to the vet oct 27th and got her checked for a brain tumor or anything else that might cause head-tilt.
The vet said that they found nothing, but that she had an ear-infection.
Now she is on bactrim for 14 days, and thats where the problem is.
She does NOT want to eat her medicine! Even though it is banana flavored and I mix it with alll kind of treats she refuses to take more than a bite. I have been forced to squirt the medicine directly into her throat, but when I let her go she just spits it all out. I feel so horrible holding her when she struggles and squeaks :(
Do anyone have a fool-proof way of giving her medicine?

Many thanks Aurora :)

Hi Aurora,
We've all dealt with stubborn rats not liking their meds. What have you tried? Many of us use a strawberry flavored syrup, the kind you add in milk to flavor it. It's called Nestle Quick. We put the med in a small dab of strawberry in a spoon and allow rattie to lick that up. Have you tried baby cereal? Adding the meds to it?
Your little one might very well have a head tilt for the rest of her life but don't worry they adapt very well with it.

I have tried everything! Yogurt, mashed potatoes, chocolate cake, salmon, baby food, bread, majonese... Probably she connects the smell of medicine with being held thight and be forced to eat something she doesnt like. Im also scared that she might still have the ear-infection since the head-tilt just gets worse. My poor Amy she is still happy though but very tired and she rarely runs around like she used too. All she does is eat and drink and sleep. At least she is not getting thinner :p Shes already a giant with her 512g. Also she is getting bullied by all her other cagemates, even Ichigo wich is almost half her size :( I'll see if I can find the strawberry syrup in the store, but I doubt she will eat that even. Also I give 0.5ml medicine twice a day and I need a lot of food to mix with it if im supposed to drown the flavor of medicine...

I know :( and apperantly she will have to take it another week! I have got a lot of practice now and the easiest way seems to be to wrap her in a towel, only head poking out, and put her on her back. Then I can easily feed her the meds and she seems to swallow more easily...

I think you should check the rat guide for proper dosage. Here's the link:
http://www.rmca.org/Articles/dchart.htm
Bactrim is listed under SULFAMETHOXAZOLE/ TRIMETHOPRIM and it recommends 15mg/lb BID, PO (.15cc/lb)
.5 looks like an overdose to me. If I were you I would cut her back to .25 twice a day until Monday, then I would phone my vet and tell him/her to check his charts and math because I'm pretty sure something is wrong.

I had a little girl die from an overdose - don't let it happen to you!!

Im 100% sure that its the right dosage :) My vet is very good and experienced with rats and I checked with him again to make sure. On the bottle it says that 1ml contains 40mg Sulfamethoxazol and 8mg Trimethoprim... I notice she is very tired after she has her medicine and I feel bad for her. But apart from that and the tilt she seems completely healthy. I talked with some people on the chat and I think she is going to be fine :joy: I might be overreacting just a tad :p

Back