Hazel's adventures-baby-pot participants plz pm mailing addy

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt Dr. Vannevel would know. In the spring, she did attend a seminar on rat pregnancy but she did tell us that the only way to know is if you palpate the babies when it's close to birthing.
Although, literature and technology constantly change and progress... so who knows.

I don't think that rats have to be gassed to be x-rayed. My girl Vixey was x-rayed without gas...well at least as far as I know, I go her right back after and they didn't charge me for that.

Do you have a vet that could check her? That maybe the best bet, maybe they could more easily tell the difference between pregancy and a tumor.

Also I have heard ppl have accidental litters with girls in one cage and boys in the other, they were just too close!

with all the moving around though, it is also possible that she has absorbed them. but i don't know how far along into a pregnancy that is still possible and i would expect the belly to get smaller, not larger if that were to happen.

I also want to agree with the above statement, if it was a false pregancy I would think she would get smaller...

AlexandraBoo said:
She isnt pregnant. It has been more than 3 weeks since me and clark piccked her up.
if she appears bigger, its because she has put on weight from the food being fed.
:shock:

If you watched that video that isn't just a food belly. The pictures I was like she isn't big, but that video shows the placement and shape of her stomach really well. It's either babies, or there is something wrong with her.
I think a vet visit is in order.

Quinnchilla said:
AlexandraBoo said:
She isnt pregnant. It has been more than 3 weeks since me and clark piccked her up.
if she appears bigger, its because she has put on weight from the food being fed.
:shock:

If you watched that video that isn't just a food belly. The pictures I was like she isn't big, but that video shows the placement and shape of her stomach really well. It's either babies, or there is something wrong with her.
I think a vet visit is in order.

I agree with Quinn, there's SOMETHING going on, NOT just a food belly....

lilratsy43 said:
Also I have heard ppl have accidental litters with girls in one cage and boys in the other, they were just too close!

Please know that mating through bars is physically impossible. The male MUST mount the female to trigger lordosis.

A rat does not have to be put under anesthesia to get a good xray. They do need to sit rather still though. So if she's very mobile, you might not get a good xray. I think if it were me, I'd do the xray, but not if you had to put her under.

The babies would be old enough now, that it shouldn't be unsafe for them. And if she's not pregnant, you should get a good idea what's going on from the xray.

When my boy had an internal tumor, we did and xray on him. You could see all his organs squished off to the side, were the mass was taking up a lot of his abdomen.

It seems far too long of time, if she was pregnant. And if she is, she probably needs to see a vet to make sure there's not something wrong in there.

still no babies. we will have to make an appointment to see the vet with the x-ray machine and hope we can get in quickly.

but i tried to get some pictures. some of them turned out. i got a video too but its really hard to tell much of anything

Hazel010.jpg

this morning's nest.

Hazel012.jpg

this evening's mess of her nest. she's taking a nap between building it back up. it ended up in the middle of the cage.

Hazel015.jpg

the best belly shot that i was able to get, which looks very pregger to me.

and the video. like i said you really can;t tell much of anything in here.

My vet in Fredericton has xrayed a lot of my rats.
None have ever needed gas in order to have this done.

Hope you get into a vet very soon, and hope that everything ends up being ok with Hazel :heart: .

To me those last three pictures look pregnant.......She is starting to get that ball look.
I think she must not be as far a long as you thought. It would be nice if you knew forsure if Clark seperated them right away. If he assumed she was already pregnant he might not have.......

still no babies. trying to get through to the vet clinic to make an appointment for an x-ray. but weight for today is 386 g, up 5g from yesterday.

still no babies. called and booked an appointment for an x-ray for early next week, it was the earliest available and i'll have use the evil vet for it, BUT at least its only an x-ray... she can't be too evil about that at least...

but a cute picture i caught of her last night and videos of today to tide us over

Hazel017.jpg

[youtube:2me22qfm]7eZX4hXWoq8[/youtube:2me22qfm]

[youtube:2me22qfm]F8A-ZeBECOY[/youtube:2me22qfm]

[youtube:2me22qfm]gIA-8qzclQE[/youtube:2me22qfm]

The only pregnant rat's i've seen have been in the photo's on here, so i am far from being an expert... but it definately looks to me like there is something in her tummy. Her belly kind of sways when she walks, and she obviously isn't overweight or anything

At least she's not showing any signs of pain or sickness or anything. She seems like such a happy content little girl.
My Flea had a huge belly like that but it was due to the fact that she was bred over and over again and her uterus was sagging.

In the first video when she's at the end of the bed and stretches I see something on her right side, I know it's not the light.
She's a sweetie.

Back