Hazel's adventures-baby-pot participants plz pm mailing addy

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jorats said:
That's what I found as well, resorption after being given something or forced something on the rat so I assumed that if they can resorb due to toxins and such in late gestation, then it happens.

True, it must be possible ... but the toxins are in such extreme amounts,
I wonder if it ever happens outside of lab experiments, unless the circumstances are unusually extreme (nuclear fallout areas, etc.)

I would be interested if anyone knows of any links to info on naturally occuring late gestation reabsorption in rats.
I was surprised that it may occur as late as the second week of pregnancy ... so I would also be interested in links on early to mid gestation reabsorption in rats if anyone has some.

oops, OMG, yes that is a typo. :shock: she's at 370 g, 8 grams less then yesterday. i'm so sorry for the confusion. i have corrected the original post about it.

Well I don't know much about breeding rats.....but it does seem to me that something has happened....She wouldn't be losing weight if not......

took hazel to see her regular vet today with a list of the weights and all that. the vet felt around some and couldn't feel any babies and has suggested that she either had them and ate them, or she absorbed them. she says either could have been done for many number of reasons, from stillborns, malformed or sick babies to just plain stress and that what is stressful for some may not be for others, this is true for humans and animals alike. so the moving around may have been the trigger if it was stress related. she may just have not felt safe enough with the new home to have them. but there is no way to know for sure. i told her i had hazel booked for an x-ray as well. she doesn't think it is really needed given that hazel is acting happy and healthy but told me it was my money if i wanted to spend it. so i don't know, its not cheap and the vet said its not needed, but given all that hazel has gone through i think i'm going to have it done, so long as they don't decide to gas her out for it, just to be on the safe side. hopefully i'll get a call in earlier too so i can get it all over and done with. but in any case, it doesn't look like there will be any babies now

Well this is actually good news for Hazel. You vet must have had a good feel in the tummy and if he/she feels all is normal, then the xray really is not needed and you can save your money and her stress of going through an xray.

hazel is doing great. she was in heat last night, all frog-hoppy and vibrating ears :giggle: her spirits seem as high as ever. this girl LOVES to play, but appreciates a good cuddle with enthusiastic bruxing and boggling for ear rub. she is an absolute sweetheart and i am so glad that she is part of our family. even though she lost her babies, she doesn't seem the worse off for it. she is matronly though all the same. even though it is altana who is the birth-mother of kayi, neve and ellesmera it is hazel that dotes on my terrible trio and their gang leader scritter-baby. she was immediately accepted by all the rat-kids, not one huff or puff upon meeting her. she seems well loved. there is ALWAYS someone by her side either being groomed or grooming her. since tween passed on there wasn't really a grandmotherly rat in our group, though we had a couple nurses (now all gone as well), and it would seem that the colony really missed that roll being filled and that hazel has stepped right into it.

as for general health. she has shown no complications or ill affects of her lost litter. she is attentive, alert and very active. her fur is smooth and clean. no breathing noises, or body soreness anywhere. because she is in so good of apparent health and because her regular vet did not view it necessary to have an xray done i have canceled the xray to save hazel and myself the stress of an unneeded procedure as well as the headache for myself of having to deal with the evil vet. not to mention the money for the procedure.

so no babies, and that's probably just as well. but hazel is healthy and happy and quickly becoming a very big part of the family.

as for the people that have participated in the baby-poll, please send me your mailing address and i will send out one baby yarn rattie as default for having watched and waited and stressed along with me through all of this. if anyone else would like 1 baby yarn ratty please pm me your mailing address as well.

if you want a yarn baby rat (not in the picture shown of the yarn rats) then all you need to do is pm me your mailing address. :thumbup:

Back