Hayla gave birth *Odd update*

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephanief987

I had a rat suddenly give birth, accidental pregnancy.
I went in to check on her and I can see two sacks that look like they just never developed.

When is it safe to take these out?
I cant even see the babies I can just hear them, well I saw 1 but hear more than 1.

Is she done giving birth. She may eat them if not removed(normal behavior). I would say removed them as soon as you can. Hayla may get defensive so be careful. If possbile remove Hayla and then take the wee ones out.

eagle said:
Is she done giving birth. She may eat them if not removed(normal behavior). I would say removed them as soon as you can. Hayla may get defensive so be careful.

How do I know if she's done?
Its hard to see because she has them huddled in there with her. I'll put a glove on or something just encase and try to remove them.

jorats said:
I would leave it for quite a few hours... it's actually very healthy for her to eat it, gives her loads of energy and strength.

:shock: Ew! Makes sense though, kept them in there, thanks. I think there is only 2-3 babies, thank goodness, now I don't feel as bad ending up in this situation even though we tried to stop it from happening.

:hugs:
oi!
hopefully there's only 2-3 like you think hun....

Steph was ssaying that the dad was a siamese, and mum is a beige, what will likely the colour of this litter? Jo, I know you'll know this one!
:wink2:

This one is tough... it all depends on what dad carries and mom. If mom doesn't carry any pew or himi or siamese then they should all be beige like her.

Okay so the 2-3 babies I saw, I went back a couple hours later... 9 babies :shock:

They are all doing amazing but... I'm confused about something. How did my beige girl and siamese boy make all black babies? Most look completely black, a couple hooded. Is that possible? Because I do have a dark hooded boy but he was-not out of the cage, he doesn't care to leave the cage, hes a shy little suck. I read they cant get pregnant through the cage so what happened here? I don't get it.

Oh wait... forgot, photos! :)

1-2 days old:
babies1.jpg

4 days old:
babies2.jpg

Mama, my computer is being slow so I can only find a picture of her when she was little, just wanted to show the colour. She's about a year now:
hayla.jpg

They are sweeties!
All rats are either black or agouti base... Your mama is black base and we now know so is the siamese. Because they don`t share any other common colour gene all babies will be black.

jorats said:
They are sweeties!
All rats are either black or agouti base... Your mama is black base and we now know so is the siamese. Because they don`t share any other common colour gene all babies will be black.

OK!
Thanks for clearing that up, we were so confused.

Back