Having Difficulty Finding Mite Meds!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mercurydust

It is so frustrating when one of our rats need medical attention! Even though the vets where I work will treat rats I still feel that they really don't know what they are doing or how to properly diagnose anything pertaining to rat health. I am glad they atleast try-points for that. But-when I asked the about the best way to treat skin mites they couldn't give me an answer. Frustration! :gaah: They don't carry Revolution for kittens or puppies-so does anyone know of another good med to use? We carry all sorts, and I was looking at one called Natures Defense, it's an all natural flea and tick drop. But I don't want to try anything that will harm one of my baby girls! Since Lily had mites-and a nasty case of them at that-I want to treat all of them to prevent anything like that in the future. It was weird how only one of the girls was in infested with mites and the others weren't. But I want to take steps anyway, just in case. I read about ivermectin and the only kind I found was for horses-is that safe for my ratties? I just want the best for my ratties. They give me so much-just watching them run and wrestle around the living room floor makes me smile and feel so much better :giggle: When I go back to school to become a vet assistant I am going to learn as much about rat anatomy and health as possible, and as many other 'exotic' pets as I can because I know their are so many other rat parents out their dealing with the same concerns and fear that their pet won't be able to get the proper care they need when the time comes. :thumbup:

The ivermectin horse paste wormer is not ideal but does work. You would need to give a dose the size of a grain of rice once a week for 3 to 4 weeks.

It really is frustrating when you know your rats need something but the vets (authority) won't cooperate. :gaah:

If your vet doesn't carry it, you can ask for a prescription and buy it online. You might even be able to get it on eBay without a prescription.

Or as somebody else already suggested - Phone around to other vets and if you explain what it's for and explain them how you do it, a lot of them will give it to you I'm sure without actually having to see them.

As a "patient" you can ask for things. I certainly ask all the time... one of our vets actually said he appreciates getting new info too. E.g. Cefa - Most vets around here don't use it yet but we told them about it and now they order it in and if not they give us a prescription. Having said that - We do have good arguments as to why we want to try certain things and the vet knows that we've been around the block a few times and do our research/have experience with it.

Back