Have NO idea what's happened to Matthew!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4 weeks for SURE ! I will have to get a refill soon but my vet is good about that. His brother & cagemate Luke is also taking antibiotics for this cyst thing to prevent any infection from popping up. The redness bothers me. Am hoping soon that I am able to get some nice thick puss out of it. If not - he will need a vet visit & I cannot afford one just yet. AND sister Gracie-Lou has what I am sure is a mammary tumor. It's not grown much so far.
Oh these little boogers !!! :doh:

ok - I need some suggestions.

He is doing well since his 2nd bout with this - but he always has his head down licking his winkie area !! He fell asleep that way the other day, head down.
Tonight I am going to put him & his bro Luke ( with his abcess lookin spot ) in the sink together with warm water & Epsom salt. I have to buy time until I can afford a vet trip.
They are both on Baytril 0.25 twice a day & I give infant Motrin as needed. So glad I have meds handy. I always try to have an antibiotic & a pain med @ all times. I will have to get a refill on the Baytril though, soon.

Last edited:
I think you need a different antibiotic. Does his winky area stink? Any plugs? I wonder if his male glands are infected?

I think you need a different antibiotic. Does his winky area stink? Any plugs? I wonder if his male glands are infected?

yeah - but Baytril is all I have at this moment. All my boys' penis' are like a dark color. Do they come in diff colors?
Winkie area smells like pee sometimes. No plug. Don't know abt his male glands - but I have caught him liking his testicles too. Gee I am beginning to think he is just making himself "feel good" -- licking his winkie area & his balls!!! No, seriously, I am not sure what is exactly wrong, but at least I DO know that he is not in pain right now.

ok - I need some suggestions.

He is doing well since his 2nd bout with this - but he always has his head down licking his winkie area !! He fell asleep that way the other day, head down.
Tonight I am going to put him & his bro Luke ( with his abcess lookin spot ) in the sink together with warm water & Epsom salt. I have to buy time until I can afford a vet trip.
They are both on Baytril 0.25 twice a day & I give infant Motrin as needed. So glad I have meds handy. I always try to have an antibiotic & a pain med @ all times. I will have to get a refill on the Baytril though, soon.

did you mean epsom salts or baking soda?
the magnesium in the epsom salts is absorbed thru the skin and can, theoretically at least, cause loose stools
:/

Epsom salt. I have never had anyone get loose stools from it though. I am careful not to let them drink it.

What else can I use that would help draw out any puss that might be in it?
I am desperate.

Epsom salt. I have never had anyone get loose stools from it though. I am careful not to let them drink it.

What else can I use that would help draw out any puss that might be in it?
I am desperate.

I don't know that using epsom salts is bad, just passing along that little tidbit about it (espom salts can be used a saline laxative)
I don't usually add anything to the water but I think some people add some salt or baking soda.
is he still licking himself a lot? I did have one intact boy who seemed to um, enjoy himself that way. :laugh2:

learn something new everyday, just found this about epsom salts, and here i thought it was only for sore muscles (and a laxative) lol

http://www.livestrong.com/article/368695-how-to-use-epson-salt-for-infection/
"Magnesium sulfate, better known as Epsom salts, is a chemical compound made up of magnesium, oxygen and sulfur. Epsom salts chemical makeup is highly absorbent and draws toxins from whatever surface it encounters, including human skin, which makes it popular for use as a bath salt. Soaking in Epsom salts is also a widely used remedy to treat infections. Epsom salts work well to treat outer infections but should not be ingested. Consumption of Epsom salts can result in magnesium overdose, which can lead to death. Soaking and bathing in Epsom salts may increase magnesium levels within the body via skin, but not enough to raise risks of magnesium overdose, making Epsom salts a safe alternative to treating outer infections."

Back