"Hatebook"

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMG365

Unite around the things you hate - what a concept! :lol:

From CTV.ca
Hatebook unites members over things they despise

A new online community is attempting to copy the wildly successful format of the social networking site Facebook, but with one big difference.

Instead of finding common ground through mutual interests or friends, members are encouraged to unite over the things they hate.

In fact, Hatebook.org could easily be described as an anti-social networking site, where instead of making friends one makes enemies and instead of receiving messages, one receives junk mail.

"Obviously people feel the need to talk about their neighbour and their friends and their teachers, professors, students, in a negative light while maintaining a pseudonym online, and that's the forum to do it," Photi Sotiropoulos, a media expert from McGill University, told CTV's Canada AM.

The site, which boasts over 65,000 international members -- or "suckers" as they're called by Hatebookers -- was started by a German market researcher close to one year ago.

The majority of Canadian members of the site are from Montreal -- 530 -- and most are male and in their mid-20s, Sotiropoulos said.

Other sites have also tried to copy the successful Facebook format, such as Deathbook, a site that helps members keep their dead loved ones' memories alive, and the self-explanatory Dogbook and Catbook.

A quick perusal of Hatebook reveals some striking similarities to Facebook. It mimics the site's look and style, though instead of the familiar blue and white, Hatebook uses an angry-looking red and pink.

And in terms of content, not surprisingly it's pretty negative with messages showing up such as this one from someone calling himself "drevil": "We love to hate - this world is so ridiculous - be evil - take over the world!"

While some posts are quite vitriolic and the language is often foul, most messages appear to be playful slams directed at other members rather than rants about specific issues.

While Facebook and other sites like LinkedIn or MySpace allow members to create a social network and as a result connect with people of similar interests, hobbies or passions or to reconnect with long-lost friends, Hatebook seems simply predicated simply on, well, hate.

"The motive of this website is hate and it's this very counter-intuitive thing. Nobody really understands its raison d'etre," Sotiropoulos said.

But he suggested that sites like Hatebook are gaining popularity as a backlash against the more mainstream sites and their "anti-social" feel -- and that they serve as proof that online social networking is here to stay.

You know what they say, misery loves company! :D I'm not sure that I'd be interested in joining Hatebook to increase my circle of enemies, however! :lol:

KMG365 said:
You know what they say, misery loves company! :D I'm not sure that I'd be interested in joining Hatebook to increase my circle of enemies, however! :lol:

You and I know perfectly that it is not necessary to join Hatebook to have enemies. LOL!!! :laugh4: :laugh4: It can happen everywhere.

Jack Sparrow said:
KMG365 said:

You and I know perfectly that it is not necessary to join Hatebook to have enemies. LOL!!! :laugh4: :laugh4: It can happen everywhere.

No, you and I didn't need external help for that! :D

LA said:
Feel the love!!!

You're supposed to be promoting a message of hate and ill will toward others. :lol:

What was the German researcher's goal in creating such a website?
Trust me, I lived in Germany for 16 years]... the Germans do NOTHING without a reason and it's corresponding logic.
With their amazingly accurate knack for the logical aspects to things... I'm surprised that they didn't come up with a Spockbook in which to ponder the multi-faceted examples of logic people use to justify their views.

There, was that anal enough? :laugh4:

Back