Harry's eyes

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lj

Anyone seen anything like this? Harry's going to the vet. I've been giving him Baytril, but nothing's been helping.

I'm almost 100% sure that he is blind (at least in his left eye). He sticks extremely close to me when he's out of the cage.

Here are some photos:
DSCF1772.jpg

DSCF1773.jpg

DSCF1774.jpg

DSCF1776.jpg

Poor little fella! Maybe some debris has gotten in both eyes cause of the no eyelashes to keep it out? (dang, that would have to hurt, eh?) My nekkie Simone has a little swelling around an eye periodically, I use Polysporin eye/ear drops and it resolves... I don't know if that's good or not for your boy right now with them so swollen, but since you are going to the vet she can figure out what's going on.
I hope everything is ok for your dear little Harry.
.....(*snicker* at his name) :D

i've seen something close to that in a little hairless girl a friend of mine has. both eyes were swollen and she was all squinty. though she didn't have the swelling so bad that it affected the appearance of the nose any. they never figured out exactly what had caused it, but the BNP eye cream that the vet gave them, applied a few times a day, cleared it up perfectly in under 2 weeks. when her eyes were bad she didn't want to leave her humans' sides either, but now that her eyes are all better she's much more adventerous and there doesn't seem to be an lasting damage done to them. hopefully what ever is going on with harry is the same as brisby's and with a bit of cream it will clear up just as nice.

There's just something about those nekkies that makes me want to snatch them up, wrap them in a soft blankie and cuddle them close! Feel better soon, Harry!

He's going in on Thursday, so I'll keep everyone posted.

I also noticed that he's been shaking his head fairly quickly, but doesn't have a tilt. It also smells (from his ears maybe?) a little. Anyone know what that is? He's 2. I looked in his ears, but they are clean as a whistle.

I think the smell is coming from his ears. It's more like there's gunk inside his eyes (his left one anyways).

I'm going to medicate him again and see what happens.

I don't know anything about the ear smell.

But I would like to point out that my Rhys has the exact same eye issue. Sometimes when he wakes up he can't even get his eye open, I always assumed this had something to do with his lack of eye lashes and the fact that sometimes his eye is a bit more wet then it should be. I also think Rhys is at least partially blind in the only eye he has left.

(PS, looking at eyes makes my eyes water, it took me a minute to be able to look at those pics..I am really not sure why?)

Here's the best pic I have of his partially swollen and closed eye....

DSC02085.jpg

Darn hairless rats and all their eye and skin issues!!!!!!

Yeah, that's what Harry's eyes are like.

I'll let you know what my vet says tomorrow.

Oh yeah, come to think of it maybe he just might need polysporin eye/ear drops for a while, or those fake tear drops that some people use periodically - if some people need them why not a rattie?
But since you're going to see the vet - best thing - I guess you'll get good advise.
But why couldn't a rattie just get blocked tear ducts sometimes or be prone to dry eyes?
Hope it's something simple like that for your boy and that we'll get pictures based more on his cuteness than his eyes in future :heart: .

PS - it's past tomorrow now :nod:

Back