Harry Bum...Sigh.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mercurydust

It wasn't what I wanted to wake up to this morning. Everyone was just fine last night when I fed the furkids. Around noon today, I saw a tail sticking out of the bottom of the cage, gave it a playful tug like I always do to an exposed tail, only this time, no response from the tail owner. My Harry Bum, wasn't moving. :( He passed some time during the night. What disturbs me, is that he was literally covered in tiny bugs. Almost like some sort of lice. I had never noticed any bugs on any of them, or scabs that usually are associated with mites. It really bothers me. I am waiting for the pet cemetary to call me back so I can arrange a place to meet them so they can take Harry to be cremated. I am also bothered because I don't know what these bugs are, mites are usually too small to be seen like that. I am thinking it is some kind of lice. I don't know. I do know that even though I can't see any of them on the other kids, they are getting a fresh Revolution treatment just in case as well as everything in the cage is going to be sanitized and if it can, just thrown away.

I rescued Harry and his brother Owen from the animal shelter here in Charlotte sometime last year, the exact date escapes my mind right now. Harry was a big boy, almost 2lbs of manrat, but not overweight. He was such a dollbaby, so quiet and affectionate. He bit me the very first night I brought him home, didn't draw any blood. He had lived his entire life up to that point in a shelter where his human contact was limited to feeding and cage cleaning time. Considering that, he was a very sweet guy once he realized how good it felt to be cuddled and loved on. My major concern now is his brother, Owen. They have been together for so long and were very bonded. Hopefully my Owen Butt will find comfort with his younger brother Chance. Sigh...this is the only part I don't like about having rats as pets. Just never enough time.

DSCN3179.jpg

DSCN2927.jpg

So sorry for your loss hun. The same thing happened when I lost my man Elwood. He had, however, been showing his age, & when he passed comfortably at home, I found the same thing. Tiny bugs that began crawling to the surface. I believe I came to the conclusion that they were lice, since they were visible. I simply treated the remaining rats with revolution & bleached all bedding, etc. I know how you feel though, kind of an extra kick on top of an enormously sad time already. Now I randomly check my babies for bugs, just in case, & especially when they start getting older & weaker. & if it makes you feel better, I know it did me, if it's rat lice it should not be able to jump to humans. eck.

So, please don't feel too bad. I know it feels like something you should have caught, but really, I too had no indication of the bugs until he passed. Just a lesson learned. I'm happy he was with you & his buddies up until the end. It sounds like he had an amazing life!

Love the last pic of him, such personality in that little face.

It was definitely lice. The origin...a mystery. All their things were soaked in bleach and water, wooden toys put in the freezer, entire cage wiped down. The most fun (not really) part was bathing all the ratties. I sprayed them with a mite/lice killer to get rid of the buggies...then gave everyone a bath. My hands are all scratched to bits from the attempted escapees. Then once everyone was dry, they each got a drop of Revolution and then big bowls of peas. I can relax now. :)

Back