Harness

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
:joy: Today, my harness came in the mail. (thank you soooo much Melissa!!)

I quickly grabbed Radar and got him to try it. I must say, it's a very good harness, easy to put on. It's sturdy and holds the rat good. Radar was not impressed but I would still feel much more secure putting this harness on a rat when bringing outside. :D

The only problem, at one point, Radar got the leash in his mouth, I quickly took it out before those teeth of his made any damage.

Here he is:

What the?

radarharness.jpg

Um... please take this off! Now!

radarharness2.jpg

Awww! So squishy.
I had a similar leash, if not the same one, and somehow my boys still got out. Good Radar!

Aww, Radar looks so handsome in his leash :D

I got my leash as well, and have been waiting for a nice day outside to go take some pictures. The rats really don't seem to mind wearing it, and it's so nice to give them a little more freedom in other parts of the house. I also had Bobo on the deck and in the grass the other day, he loved it!

Looks fantastic! I love my BarbedDragon leashes. Can't wait for some outdoor Radar pics!

And yes, the rats can very easily get out if they just pull straight back against the harness. I experienced this quite a few times. You have to have trust in your rat whenever you put it in a new situation that they are not going to try to escape. I worked with my rats indoors until they didn't mind it anymore and struggle to pull out. :) And of course always kept them very very close by when we went outside.

My girls Tessa tried out her harness today! I started off inside, she seemed fine, so we moved to a lawn chair. I let her go in the grass very briefly and she kept trying to climb my pant legs. She doesn't understand what the big bright world is outside :lol:

tessa3.jpg

Naughty girl! She was posing and as soon as the camera went 'click' she had the leash in her mouth. No damage done to it though, silly girl :D
tessa2.jpg

I swear she wants to be a model sometimes. :lol:
tessa1.jpg

Oh, that's so cute! :D Radar in green and Tessa in pink.
They'll get used to it.
I saw a video on America's Funniest Videos of dogs & cat walking in socks for the first time. It was a hoot! So funny! So unfamiliar but so harmless. They couldn't have got those shots a half-hour later when the kids got used to the socks.
Did anybody try a treat soon as the kid got the get-up on?

I sure would have liked that for my Savanna. Some kids just need more space (even if they have to accept the limitations that come with it)

They do love to grab and chew on the ropy-stuff tho. My kids like to go after my camera wrist-strap. Maybe just have to put some bitter apple or something on it?

Wow, I never would have thought of a harness, thats awesome! Whenever I want to take my rats outside, its usually Missy that wants to go with me, since she is the most adventurous, and I wear a hoodie, and she sits in that, or on my shoulder (my hooded rat loves being in my hood :roll: ), but I might have to look into getting me one of these harnesses for each of my rats, lol!

Is there a link with the info for goosemoose or just look for that user on there?

Back