Harmful aromas?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sami

I currently do not own any rats, but most definitely will in the future. I plan on keeping them in my bedroom, which contains a glade plug-in that produces a very strong, but pleasant aroma. I also spray perfume daily in this room. Are these aromas harmful to rats? If so, what illness could they possibly cause?

Is there any solution to this problem? I guess I do not need the air freshner in the room, but would it still be harmful to them if it was located across the hallway in another room? Would it be okay to spray the perfume in another room away from the rats? My bathroom is pretty close to the bedroom, and the spare room which could hold the glade plug-in is only across the hall.

Help!

Thanks in advance.

I would steer clear of anything like that. Rats have extremely sensitive respiratory systems and a far more advanced sense of smell than we do. I believe that things like that can be very irritating.

I had a feeling and have read that these aromas could be harmful, but I'm not sure how to solve this dilemma. The carpet in the room I plan on keeping them has a consistent smell of urine from the early months of my dogs house training, so I have to constantly spray Febreze or OdoBan on it or the whole room smells like urine. This is the only room available to keep the rats in, so I'm at a loss for a solution!

Any suggestions?

P.S. The carpet has been powerscubbed multiple times, but I'm afraid that the odor has soaked into the boards beneath the carpet! :(

If the urine has soaked into the boards under the carpet, it is too bad that you can't get rid of the carpet and then do something about the wood.

SQ said:
If the urine has soaked into the boards under the carpet, it is too bad that you can't get rid of the carpet and then do something about the wood.

I actually never thought of that. We're having the carpets soaked in a an odor eliminating formula and then professionally power scrubbed so we no longer have to worry about the pee smell. Although, the dogs are housed trained now and with the weekly home power scrubs, the urine odor isn't even noticeable anymore. Oh well, I want to eliminate the source!

Thanks for the idea.

Back