Harlan Teklad

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virgo2882

Hello,
I have been trying to get my rats onto a new diet, the Teklad 8064 blocks.
I have been trying to get into contact with the company to order them and they have not responded now for over a week, and I also tried to order from a woman who has a rat site who sells the blocks, however she has not responded either.
Does anyone know another site or store I can get these blocks from?
Thanks much!!!!

Also does anyone else give their rats these blocks? Besides fruits and veggies should the blocks be almost a complete diet without anything else added?

I feed my girls the Harlan 2014, they each get one block in the morning and one at night with OxBow available at all times. They love it. I also give lots of veggies and the occasional banana piece or red grape.

I get my Harlan from http://www.craftyrat.com

I am pretty sure Harlan is only sold to labs in bulk that is why they will not call you back.

I just ordered the 15lb bag - I have 4 3month old girls and an expecting mother so I figured they should eat the 8064 for awhile as they are growing.
Thanks so much1

I think Harlan's min order is $500 or $1000.
You might want to order from Kims Ark as they are a very respected rescue and sell Harlan to individual rat owners.

I feed my rat Harlan 2014 as well. They have it in their dishes at all times and then also get vegs and fruit daily.

I have a quick question about HT as well... Is the 2014, 2016 and 2018 better for rats than the 8604 and 8640? Like is it more specialized for Rats instead of other rodents?

Also, I got a 15 pound bag of each the 2014 and the 2018. I have 4 adult rats over 8 months eating 4 blocks each per day of the 2014, 1 rat eating 2 blocks of the 2014 and 2 of the 2018 per day (She's VERY active but over 8 months) and 2 rats eating just the 2018 (Emma only eats about a block and a half and Brenna eats 3-4 blocks per day). Okay, here's the qustion: How often should I reorder each value pack of blocks? I didn't keep great track of how long shipping took but I would guess it to be between a week and a half and two weeks.

I order from http://www.craftyrat.com as well. The shipping and the food cost is less than buying the same weight of food from a local store.

I just ordered two bags and it only took about 5 days to get to me.

Once I get to my second bag I order two more. I only feed the 2014 and they get two blocks each everyday with OxBow all day. Any more than that and I get some pretty hefty girls on my hands.

I only get 10lbs at a time if that helps.

Boy, Willow Bean you have your hands full with keeping track of who eats what. I give all my girls the 2014 my young and my old and they seem to be doing very well on it. I on occasion give them baby cereal or oatmeal.

HAHA!! Add veg and fruit on top of that and I get a little lost each morning! Banana mash is only on Sundays, other than that peeled apples, carrots, a small portion of orange, green beans, lettuce and a piece of cod all get cut up and offered. It's kind of nice having Errol (my bearded dragon) because I have to cut up most of those things for him anyhow so it all gets done at the same time.

Do you think that they are getting too many blocks? I don't have any food out for them to free feed during the day, just the blocks, fruit and veg. I also offer the occassional rotini pasta noodle (uncooked), Tasty Twigs chew sticks, and lots of chew blocks.

If all they have is the blocks and the veggies then no. I have OxBow out all day and they can munch on that if they get hungry otherwise they have to wait for me to give them their harlan block. My girls have no problem eating the OxBow, Lilly loves it when I put fresh in the bowl for them.

I would just watch their weight and if they start to gain to much maybe switch everyone to the 2014 since it is lower in protein and fat. Since you are in the states you could get the OxBow and offer it all day and cut back on the blocks. When I did this most of my girls slimmed down to very health weights.

Most of my girls love their Harlan and think it is a treat, they run and stash it where ever they can or eat it right away. But I do have some who could care less about it.

SQ said:
Broccoli and kale are supposed to be good as very healthy and have anti cancer properties. Also, they love peas ...

this is what I give my girls it is on a rotating basis:

Monday Broccoli and Oysters
Tues: Green beans, peas and diced tomatoes
Wed: Pinto, kidney, black eyed and Northern Beans
Thurs: Banana and Red grape
Friday: Baby cereal or oatmeal with sweet potatoes
Saturday: Veg all with potato's and carrots
and on Sunday it is a smorgess borg of whatever was left over from the week.

Almost all of my stuff comes in cans so I can just dish it out no real prep time.

I did not have much luck with the Kale, but red grapes are supposed to help fight cancer as well.

Back