Harlan Run for Rescue?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck with your ideas guys. I'd be glad to give any advice or tips. I've done a $1,000+ run twice now.

Doing a Harlan run of $1,000 + is a HUGE undertaking. You're going to have to transport over 2,000 pounds of food and/or product. It's about 2 large skids.

Maybe I just did a bad job of marketing but my experience with the runs were very labour intensive and costly. If you do it, you have to think of it as a gift to our beloved little beasts and the forum members, otherwise I think you will be dissapointed.

MumsyRat said:
Good luck with your ideas guys. I'd be glad to give any advice or tips. I've done a $1,000+ run twice now.

Doing a Harlan run of $1,000 + is a HUGE undertaking. You're going to have to transport over 2,000 pounds of food and/or product. It's about 2 large skids.

Maybe I just did a bad job of marketing but my experience with the runs were very labour intensive and costly. If you do it, you have to think of it as a gift to our beloved little beasts and the forum members, otherwise I think you will be dissapointed.

Mumsy you did such a great job and helped us tremendously. You just never marked up the bags enough to make it worth it. You are just too good for us. :hugs:

Chelle, I can pay up front and will try to pick up the food and bedding on the nearest weekend. If it's in Guelph, that's about a 5 hour drive for me.

What about charging what U of G does, and then if people want to donate more they can?

edit: blah I missed a whole page, oh well :oops:

pscychopomp said:
What about charging what U of G does, and then if people want to donate more they can?

edit: blah I missed a whole page, oh well :oops:

The problem with me charging what U of G does is I don't even break even when I take into consideration gas and what not.

I agree with charging $30/bag...thats still cheaper than extrusion or oxbow. You will also have to see how much Harlan charges for the pelleted paper and decide on a price for that.

pscychopomp said:

I do not mean this to be rude so if it comes across that way I appologize in advance but this is a HUGE undertaking and if you feel Chelle is asking too much then I'm sure she won't be mad if you choose to get your HT from UoG instead.

I think $30/bag is a very fair price for both rescue and peopel buying. lol considering that oxbow is regularly like $3-$3.50/lb, extrusion is like $2.00-$3/lb depending. For anyone who lives further away don't be afraid of shipping, canada post is very reasonable once you get over a certain weight. 33lbs to BC is $35! so I'm sure closer and less weight would be an even better price.

I will also be offering delivery, part of why the cost needs to be a bit higher, from London to the GTA, and everywhere in between.

xxchelle said:
I will also be offering delivery, part of why the cost needs to be a bit higher, from London to the GTA, and everywhere in between.

I think that's an excellent reason to raise the price as well! It makes harlan more accessible for some people, some of which may not trust shipping. :D

smilez_n_hugs said:
I agree with charging $30/bag...thats still cheaper than extrusion or oxbow. You will also have to see how much Harlan charges for the pelleted paper and decide on a price for that.

pscychopomp said:

I do not mean this to be rude so if it comes across that way I appologize in advance but this is a HUGE undertaking and if you feel Chelle is asking too much then I'm sure she won't be mad if you choose to get your HT from UoG instead.
I wrote that before reading the second page and the suggestion of $30, the last post I saw was Chelle's at the end of page 1 and she said she didn't feel right charging more than U of G...so that's why I suggested what I did, since I knew there are people who'd probably put a donation on top of it. I understand that she is doing extra by delivering etc and therefore going to charge more.

I would be willing to pay up to $50 a bag... the only issue would be figuring out a way to get it here. I would just have to coordinate it with the hubby next time we go to Ontario. (He drives, I don't. Everyone else on the road should be thankful for that.)

smilez_n_hugs said:

pscychopomp said:

She DID edit to say that she missed a whole pile of conversation. And you DID come across as rude.

I may be interested in this if you are willing to ship out to BC. I'll have to talk the hubby into spending almost double what we do now on better quality food at a better protein level. For me it's a no brainer, but he isn't convinced.

Back