Harlan Food Unhealthy?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Daddy

OK so I was on http://www.petfooddirect.com and I saw they carried Harlan 4018 Rat Diet but it was repackaged under Native Earth but was exactly the same, Most people suggest 15% protein or less and heres the analysis

Crude Protein (minimum) 18.9
Crude Fat (minimum) 5
Crude Fiber (maximum) 5
Calcium 1.01
Phosphorus 0.61

What I'm wondering is if this is alright for my rats since most people speak highly of Harlan or if anyone else suggests anything else. (please note I am fully aware of Oxbow)

It really depends. Many people really don't like going about 14%, but others are comfortable with up to 18%.

Some of the American rescues sell Harlan 2014, but I think this is also a viable choice. Just make sure to feed them lots of veg to make up for the extra protein. The big concern is feeding an older rat the higher protein levels.

Many people feed their rats the 18% protein and have no problems with it... in fact are very happy with their rats and their health. If you supplement with daily veggies, that will bring down their daily intake of protein as well.

Yes, Harlan is a very healthy block. Some people like me do not have access to them which is unfortunate but we have the choice of Oxbow and/or Hamster extrusion which is really good as well.

:) I feed that exact block to my gang, and I have to say, even with the high protein, my rats have never looked as healthy as with anything else I've ever fed, and that includes Oxbow.

Proteins used to be as high as 23-25% for a standard lab block, now you can go as low as 14% with the HT2014, but its fine to have a range up to 18%. My rats prefer the 2014 but are just fine with the 2018 :wink2:

Back