HARLAN AT FLOWERTOWN

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shipping usually relies heavily on the size of the box they are packaging it in and as the owners of Flowertown have never had HT before (so they dont know the dimensions of the bag or anything) they probably don't want to quote shipping before they know. Because if they quote too low then the consumer ends up unhappy and if they quote too high then the consumer might be turned off. My guess is they are just making sure to keep their butts covered.

Also if you have any way of getting to Brampton then you could pick up the food yourself and save shipping charges :thumbup:

smilez_n_hugs said:
Also if you have any way of getting to Brampton then you could pick up the food yourself and save shipping charges :thumbup:

Im originally from Bramption and my family is actually down the street from their home /store. I also work at the University of Guelph. Seems Im prefectly located for rats and rat supplies :p

Universe might be trying to tell me something!

Prime654 said:
smilez_n_hugs said:

Im originally from Bramption and my family is actually down the street from their home /store. I also work at the University of Guelph. Seems Im prefectly located for rats and rat supplies :p

Universe might be trying to tell me something!

Yeah... you need MOAR RATS

No one's heard anything at all? I had bought a small bag of food thinking by now I'd probably have some Harlan...but now they're out of food again, and I'm debating if I should just get a 50lb bag of Mazuri 6F (doesn't seem worth it to buy another 5lb bag for $7 when I can get 50lb for $36).

They were having trouble getting Harlan to co-operate last I heard. I'll give them a call tomorrow to check on the status of the orders! :)

No... they don't. In fact that's why they raised their minimum price from $100 to $1000. They don't want their food to go retail. They did however market on brand the 2018 for retail sales, it's called Native Earth.

I didn't consider this before but it makes sense that supporting pet rat owners would threaten their steady business with the labs because pet owners dislike seeing their animals abused. Think that's it?

Before Flower Town was going to carry it, I emailed Harlan numerous times about placing a $1000 minimum order for the forum and myself, but they never responded. It's frustrating. I'm sure Flower Town is having the same issues.

Brax said:
I didn't consider this before but it makes sense that supporting pet rat owners would threaten their steady business with the labs because pet owners dislike seeing their animals abused. Think that's it?

I don't think that's it but more like vet prescribed foods. For example, diet cat food available to public on the market really isn't diet. They can't sell a product that is formulated and altered for an animal without being monitored by a vet. Only foods formulated for generalized healthy animals is available to the public. I'm guessing this is the same with Harlan. Labs order special food for special circumstances. If it goes public then they no longer have control of which animal actually needs what food. This might be why only the 4018 is being sold to the public.
This is my thinking on it... could be an entirely different reason though.

I wonder if Mumsyrat had as much trouble getting through to Harlan. A few years back when I bought directly from them, they were very nice, it was a 1-800 number and picked up in Mississauga by a very nice man at a warehouse. You have to pay Harlan direct.

I don't think Harlan is aware that the food is available to the public. They have a contract with UofG to supply their in house animals.

WOOT!!!! Just got this in my email from Flower Town Chinchillas:

we expect to have our initial shipment of Harlan Teklad in house sometime next week. The prices for a 33 pound bag will run $25.45 for
2014 and $25.95 for 2018

They are an online store so anyone should be able to order it and have it shipped. :)
I'll be picking mine up cause I'm also getting a CN from them.

Back