Hannah Elizabeth: ? to October 16, 2006

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
Our little "Hannah banana" was a very special girl. Hannah was abandoned by students in an empty apartment when they moved out. The landlord found her in her hamster cage and took her to the SPCA. Hannah won the hearts of both godmother and I when we visited her in the cat room at the SPCA. As soon as her cage door was opened, Hannah would scamper up our arms. Such a loving, active, curious little girl!!

Hannah at the SPCA, May 2005 ...........
HannaattheSPCAMay2005.jpg

In May 2005, Hannah moved into my mother's home for her quarantine. Godmother and I looked after her during this time with godmother assuming most of the responsibility. It was during this time that Hannah made a lasting impression with my mother - by chewing a hole in her good living room couch ... my fault for not paying more attention ...

Hannah smelling the flowers, May 2005 .......
HannahflowersMay2005.jpg

Hannah soon moved into my apartment where she survived a difficult introduction with Cindy, Caleb, and Jordan.

Hannah and Caleb, summer 2005 .....
HannahandCalebsummer2005.jpg

In the fall, her world expanded to include the addition of Lois, Lyman, Andy, Adam, Monroe, and Noah. Although she had spent most of her life as a single girl, she took it all in stride and adapted to her new living conditions. Although a curious, active escape artist, Hannah banana was also a very cuddly girl. Hannah gained quite a bit of weight but was down to 460 g before she died.

10rattiesJan2006.jpg
Feb2006.jpg

........ The "gang of ten" Jan. 2006 .............................................. and again in Feb 2006

HannahclimbingthebarnMarch2006.jpg
August132006AndyandHannahmakingreno.jpg

Hannah climbing the Fisher Price barn, March 2006 .......... Hannah and Andy making renovations, August 2006

Jan2006Hannahinsnugglescarf.jpg
July252006Hannahandboysfreeranging.jpg

Hannah with godmother, Jan 2006 .................... Hannah free ranging with the boys, July 2006

Hanna had been slowing down. Her back legs didn't work so well and she was unable to eat hard foods.

Hannah fishing for vegs, July 2006 ..........
July16Hannahfishingforvegs.jpg

July11Hannah.jpg

................ July 2006, Hannah banna, such a loving soul ...

HannahwantsupFeb2006.jpg
Sept252005HannahandCaleb.jpg

Feb 2006, Hannah wants up ......................... Hannah and Caleb, September 25, 2006

When I got up on Sunday Oct 16, I found that Hannah was quite weak and her head movements were not well coordinated. I gave her meds and fed her. I held Hannah in my arms most of the day and evening. Godmother dropped by a couple of times to see Hannah and help with the ratties. Hannah lay in my arms with her eyes closed, looking very peaceful while I gently stroked her head and talked to her. I thought she would die peacefully at home but she started having seizures and her breathing sounded congested. The seizures became worse so I phoned the vet on call and made arrangements to take her in. Godmother returned from looking after the rattie boys in quarantine at my mother's home and said goodbye to our little Hannah banana. I drove Hannah to the vets where like Caleb, Hannah died peacefully in my arms as I petted her and talked to her.

It is strange how empty the rat cage is with only 8 ratties .... everything is so very empty without my Caleb and Hannah Banana.

......................................................................................

[youtube:kxbb604u]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yYHT-TF4KO4&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yYHT-TF4KO4&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube:kxbb604u]

Thank you very much.
Hannah, Caleb, and Nettie died last fall but are deeply missed ....
I will be adding pictures soon.

I have lost 6 other ratties this spring and summer. I never posted about it as it was too painful. I will be soon posting about them as well...

Even though they have passed a while back, they all will be remembered and having them known to people seems to bring comfort. We remember your love for them.

Thanks for your comments ... we think that Hannah may have had a neurlogical problem that caused her to eat and eat ... she was the only rattie I know that would always be munching on oxbow ... plus as she aged, she became unable to eat hard foods and treats even tho nothing physical could be found wrong.

It was hard to lose Hannah. I adored that ratty girl! She was always so eager to come out of the cage and be petted. She'd run up my arm before the cage door was fully open.

I had visited her at the SPCA and knew that she had to get adopted. Because I helped foster her during quarantine, I got very attached to her.

I like to think of dear Hannah running free at the Bridge.

Back