Hand raising rejected babies

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, I hope they're ok, they really are sweet things.
Gah, gah, gah I don't know what to do! Mattiee figured out how to jump out of the tub, which was bad enough by itself but now she's taking babies with her. The bathroom is too big and spread out for them, the tub is huge but she hates it.
Man, don't you know a good thing when you see it??
I'm trying to make a lid of some sort for the tub today *fumes* why can't my critter nation just get here

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Aww yea, leave it to me to find the perfect solution right under my nose, I found my old pegboard, which is basically a perfect sized heavy lid full of holes
This just might work out :)

RockyGurly said:
I guess this thread is getting old, but I'll keep updating in case anyone is looking anymore :)
The babies are 14 and 15 grams to tonight, and I noticed something odd. Mae's other supersized babies are all chubby white babies with black faces and black eyes, Mae's mini babies are white and grey and the other one seems to be a PEW. I'm probably just over thinking things. But the PEW boy is super sweet.
Mattiees babies are eating tons of solid food now, and she getting a little sick of them. She and the mini babies have been clocking in a lot of time together
Also while the adults ignored the things I made for them and fabric is fabric to them, the babies are all over the toys and the mini babies seem to appreciate the really cuddly fleece I got for them. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy :p

I am sure I am not the only one that would get quite upset if we didn't get to see the updates on the babies. :) You have been so wonderful to keep up all updated even though you have been super busy. I feel like I am part of the babies cheer squad. So as long as you have time please keep up updated on the babies. Also lots and lots of pictures are always appreciated. :cheeky:

Until I get my computer back iPod pictures are all ill have :/ but I'll try to take some tomorrow, they should be opening their eyes any day now, one big baby has one eye half open already :)
I'm hoping to reunite the babies once they're mobile, they're catching up to their siblings, both 18 grams today. But the big babies are around 25-28. Yeesh. And they aren't just big, they're fat little things. It might just be all the extra attention they get from mom, but holy cow, they're all chubby baby rolls. The mini babies are small but filled out. They're starting to crawl and happily crawl into my hands, and they're starting to respond to my voice
Also a random question, if anyone can help, is it normal to see what appears to be nipples on such young rats? I don't remember seeing any on Mattiees babies and I'm sure some are girls. But three of Mae's big babies have these pink dots on them.
Also, since its Christmas break, I've been getting lots of sewing done in between feedings. Critter nation, get here faster!

I'm glad to hear the little rejected ones are doing well under your care. I'll be very curious to follow their lives and see if they are 'normal'. (IE trying to figure out why momma rejected them)
iPod pictures are better than no pictures!

They'll have normal enough lives I hope :) they'll get to live with their dad and older siblings and if momma still doesn't want them I'll just put them with Mattiee during the day and feed them at night (I have school coming up soon) and give em lots of extra love
It's not that Mae couldn't feed them, her big babies have chub to spare. Hoo boy.

Having a pregnant rat come in is my biggest fear. I dont know if I could do what you are doing. I mean I'm sure I'd pull my socks up and figure it out but you are an amazing person putting so much time into those little pups

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

If that's something that scares you then I guess I shouldn't mention that both girls I got in had babies :p making 25 rats total
I guess in retrospect it would of been best to bring them to a rescue or someone who could provide better, but they're still better off than where they were
Also:
epyzu9a8.jpg

A mini baby I'm sure is a PEW
5apenebe.jpg

A big fat baby
8usasete.jpg

The big baby with the mini babies (19 and 27 grams)
gege4amu.jpg

They're starting to wash their faces and drag themselves around

I had to take these.. Cuddles!
5a5ese8y.jpg

uvu8u3y8.jpg

uhuzave8.jpg

Keeping warm under the fat baby
uda2u5ym.jpg

I'm trying to get pictures of them feeding, but I have a baby in one hand, a syringe in the other hand and my iPod in.. Uh.. Yea.
I got a couple on my camera the first few days but that's all I've managed

Are they popular markings? Almost all of the babies have identical markings, black or grey blotches on their faces. Everyone's telling me they won't find homes because they're ugly markings :/
(Because that's more important than the fact that they're sweet and trained not to bite and sit in your hand and healthy)
18 And 19 grams tonight with PEW boy in the lead :D most of the bigger babies have their eyes open now, the minis should have them open in the next few days. I'm hoping that once they're mobile they can go back with mom

Those are actually markings that most people look for. I love masked babies, but I've never owned one, because they're so hard to find. The only thing, is keep a close, close eye on them right after they're completely weaned, because they're all high white.

I know :)
Hey if people want them so badly, I've got plenty who need homes :p so far no luck online... I can't really do much more until I get my computer back
That makes me worry a little that people will breed them. Totally not genetics that need to be passed on. But with so many babies I'm not sure if I could turn someone away if they were going to take care of them

Use a non breeding contract and keep in contact with adopters for the lifespans of the babies.
(See link previously provided re adopting out rats)

btw, they can have up to 26 babies in a litter (12 to 14 is average size) so you are fortunate with only a total of 25

Glad they are doing well

Yes, that is the plan, but it doesn't really mean anything. I technically agreed to surrender the babies back to the guy who was breeding the parents in order to get ahold of the girls before they gave birth and I haven't talked to him since (and I'm not planning on it) anything could happen once they're out of my hands
I'm just paranoid ._. It's normal for me. Sigh.
Pew baby still hasn't quite opened his eyes, but the other mini baby is starting to today :) My old man was feeling slow and cuddly today so I put the all together in their nursery tank for awhile with a blanket

Back