Hamster and Rats in the same bedroom?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My hamster could care less about the rats XD. But i had the rats before i got my hamster, i can even touch the rats and then her, and she doesn't care. But as if your hamster will get use to your rats, i think so, it will just take time. But maybe try to block the rats from climbing all over the hamsters cage? I think even my hamster would get nervous if i allowed my rats to do that.

Good luck!

I'd say get a cheap fold up table if you don't feel like spending a lot of money, but it can't be one that's easily climbed, and then put your hammie's cage on that. I think any hamster would freak out with rats all over their cage, but she should acclimate to the smell of other animals.

I have two winter white in my rat room and I don't have any problem. But I'd definately try to find a way to keep the rats from climbing on her cage. Do you have a shel or something you can put her on when the rats are free range?

If your hamster is stressed and you can move him to another room, go for it. A lot of people don't pick up how stressed some animals are by the presence of other species but I've seen it a few times when I've come home after handling a ferret or at the shelter and it is not nice for the animal to experience. The biggest risk of having rats and other caged animals in the same home is that the rats will harm the other animals though the cage bars, housing them in separate rooms would greatly reduce that risk.

I don't think adult hamsters are prone to wet tail and it's a bacterial infection so as long as you're keeping his habitat and water supply clean, he should be fine. If you have Rescue Remedy, you can dab a small amount on his ears to help him with his fear/anxiety.

I can understand your hamster being very afraid. Move the rats elsewhere if possible.

Do Not allow the rats anywhere near the hamster or the hamster cage.
Rats will kill hamsters!
A few years ago one person on here had her hamster killed when one of her rats grabbed the hamster through the cage bars.
Very dangerous to have both in the same house, extremely dangerous to have both in the same room.
I would suggest that only one species be in the same room during out of cage times
- ie hamster in a different room from where the rats have out times, rats in a different room from where the hamster has out of cage time. You need to make sure there is absolutely no possible way for an accident to occur.

Good luck

Hamsters have been known to kill rats also, they're a hazard to each other. It's not that hard to keep rats and hamsters separate, you just have to make sure the hamster cage is somewhere the rats can't climb up to or jump to. Since your Syrian is stressed though, it'd probably be good to house them in separate rooms.

I have my hamsters, gerbils & bunnies in the same room as my rats and they are all fine with it.

But my rats can't climb on their cages or anything. But they are in the same room and they are all completly fine with it.

I had hamsters with rats with guineapigs together before.

So long you keep them absolutely separated with no chances of them touching each other, they'll be fine.

As everyone else has said, they should be fine so long as they can't get anywhere near each other. And, if you didn't know (which not a lot of non-hamster freaks know), Wet tail is a stress-related disease that only affects Syrians under the age of 12 weeks. After that, they become immune, although they can still catch some icky stress-related diarrhea. :(

No need to worry about proliferative ileitis or wet tail in a syrian over 12 weeks. As BTA said they can still get stress related diarrhea.

Back