Halifax Nova Scotia - Dr. Don Slaunwhite

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindsay

Dr. Don Slaunwhite
Companion Animal Hospital
Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia
(902)434-3111

This is the vet that I go to. He has been seeing my rats for about 9 years now. Very good doctor. Very kind, compassionate, and friendly man. He admits that he doesn't know everything but he does have the RCMA drug chart (provided by yours truly) and he is open to suggestions and advice from others also. He has performed several tumor removals, neuters, eye removal, teeth trimmings, euths, myco treatments, and many other treatments for my rats over the years.

Prices are fair. Because he has come to know me so well and because rats are so tiny and frail, Dr Slaunwhite has given me many discounts over the years, including waiving exam fees and only charging me for treatment and/or meds. Not saying he will do this for just anyone, but he does think that exam fees for pocket pets are a little crazy at times when you are constantly having to take a stubbornly ill rat in repeatedly.

Dr Karen Kaiser, from the same clinic, is also very sweet and a great vet. She doesn't know as much about rats as Dr Slaunwhite, but she will see them as well.

I would also like to recommend Don Slaunwhite. He is excellent with my boys, and is very fair about treatment. He treated my abused/neglected rescue rat Lochlan, who has made as complete a recovery as possible considering the circumstances. He is good about treatment, and although he reccomends the proper procedures, he does NOT push ones that are not really needed, which I have found other vets to do. He is VERY kind and reasonable. He takes his pateints seriously, and as of a few days ago, precribed me a medication for my boy who was not reacting to baytril, during the busiest hours of the day, without appointment, between other visitors.

Back