halfie chatter

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temblabamomo

My friend L took in a mom from animal control who'd just given birth to 15 pups. L took mom and kids because this is the AC that would otherwise let the pups become snake food. The bubs are roughly 2 weeks now, and all of them are either agouti self or agouti berk. Mom is white with a black cap/mask. We don't know who dad is, or have any history on mom except that she was dropped off alone and popped with babies a day later. Given the way the litter turned out, we're wondering what the odds are that these could be halfies. We are mostly interested in knowing simply because L feels if there is a chance they are halfies, it should be disclosed to potential adopters. Is it possible to make a reasonable assumption without having a clue what dad looked like?

lilspaz68 said:
If ALL are agouti, then my suspicion would be halfies...tell her to socialize them extensively before those eyes pop open...how old are they now?

15 days. They're all agouti, selfs and berks. She is handling them all daily, and I've stressed that if they are halfies, the socializing will be extra important. Usually even a drop off would have prior owner info, including an address, but this gal didn't. Too bad, because I'd love to drive by and see if it's one of our many areas with wild rat problems.

If they are indeed halfies, what can she expect in terms of health, life span, and behaviour (even though she certainly will handle them daily and be diligent with socializing) etc? Or is it more of a "expect the unexpected" situation?

I'm trying to follow threads on the forum about halfies, but everything I dig something up my boss walks by and I have to close the window :gaah:

Do you know how many boys there are in the litter? I find they need to be neutered usually since wildie instincts and hormone issues are a terrible combo.

My halfie boys were neutered at 4 and 5 months of age and were handled from birth. They are actually lovely rats now at 29 months LOL. But never forget they are half-wild, as they will react differently and are much more prone to biting.

Has your friend raised a domestic litter before or is this her first ever?

lilspaz68 said:
Do you know how many boys there are in the litter? I find they need to be neutered usually since wildie instincts and hormone issues are a terrible combo.

My halfie boys were neutered at 4 and 5 months of age and were handled from birth. They are actually lovely rats now at 29 months LOL. But never forget they are half-wild, as they will react differently and are much more prone to biting.

I think she has had rats from the time they were wee babes, but never an entire litter. Fortunately, mom is doing a good job with the pups, and L's primary job will be to socialize the heck out of the little ones, which she is currently doing. She said she'd counted more boys than girls at this point, so there may be a lot of neuters down the road. Not sure how she'll feel about that, but if it must happen, then it must. Only time will tell I reckon.

temblabamomo said:
lilspaz68 said:

I think she has had rats from the time they were wee babes, but never an entire litter. Fortunately, mom is doing a good job with the pups, and L's primary job will be to socialize the heck out of the little ones, which she is currently doing. She said she'd counted more boys than girls at this point, so there may be a lot of neuters down the road. Not sure how she'll feel about that, but if it must happen, then it must. Only time will tell I reckon.

Just be prepared for the eventuality but it may not come down to that.

ratkin412 said:
any updates?

They're doing well. They were all separated when the time came, and momma is very glad to be relieved of momma duties. L moved Pearl (momma) in with Mona (my Helo's lonely ex GF), so the two of them are happy now.

Three of the girls were adopted out to a family roughly an hour away. L did her homework, and it sounds like the home is going to be a good one.

The boys are in two groups, of 4 and 5. L is handling them daily, they are social and not wild, but L is working on plans for neuters. Our vet quoted $200 per rat. This is the rescue discount, and they took off the labor fee. Some discount. L is checking with Small Angels in Frederick, MD (not too far) to see who they use. We hope to find a truly understanding vet who is willing to help out. There are at least 9 boys, x $200 = a lot...

Maybe 1 more boy...one particularly wild one escaped during playtime, he was MIA for a week, we feared him gone for good but he has taken up residence under a large, unmovable tv console. The room is cordoned off until they get him out, but he is obviously making his rounds within the room, as evidenced by poops. They have a Havahart en route and hope to catch him when it arrives.

Here is their ad, although it hasn't been updated to include the 3 girls who were just adopted:
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/23274339

Back