Hairless Rat, Swollen Neck HELP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KrazyKritterz

I have lots of wonderful rats. I got 2 hairless brothers about 3 weeks ago from a breeder I deal with often.

Everything has been fine.
However today I realized 1 of my Hairless has a swollen neck. Like under his neck its a pretty good size ball in there about olive size. He isn't very old only about 10 weeks old.
I'm assuming its a infection from a scratch or bite. There is a tiny scratch by his next but like just a skin scratch nothing deep. He has one on his wrist area a little more deep???

I'm worried.
I have worked at a vet office in total for about 9.5 yrs and started Vet tech school myself. I just as of the nes year had to let go of the vet job I had for travel and location issues. So I always have meds on hand. From the vet perks of working for one. I have all sorts of antibiotics. Most pill form but some capsules.
Due to the sudden lose of my job amd Onhavent found a new one due to having to move for housing reasons...I'm very short money amd my pet fund is depleted after my older girl had a large tumor, one ratty with heart disease, cat that had renal and liver failure and dog foot wound all this in the last 3 months so my funds are just gone.

Is there anything I can do here.
I have Metacam and Children IBprofen too if meeded for swelling but I meed help dosing meds and which to use.

Photos attached

0227182326_zpsovrxi5nn_edit_1519793528910_zpssj2gq5x6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Stupid horrible Photobucket, they are ransoming your pics :(

Instead of linking, try attaching the photos within the post. If that doens't work, can you email me the pics at [email protected]?

Is the lump right in the middle of his throat ? Are any of your rats sneezing? Are these the only new rats you have?

I tried to attach the pictures in the post the 1st time. No I had other rats same breeder same time. Yes some of the rats are sneezing. I have rsts in quarantine right now cause they are new.
Also today it looks like it went down a bit. I was go a all day cause my old cat past away and I had to take him home for burial.

Attachments

• 0227182326_zpsovrxi5nn_edit_1519793528910.jpg
    0227182326_zpsovrxi5nn_edit_1519793528910.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 165
  • 0227182326b.jpg
    0227182326b.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 263
the new rats are they at a different location or are you doing in-home QT?

My worry is you have contracted the SDA virus. We need to rule it in or out as a possibility. So I'm going to ask a lot of questions :(

Btw I am sorry about your cat. :(

Classic SDA symptoms are this swollen lump in the middle of the throat, swelling in the face which can cause the connective tissue at the front of the eye to be exposed. These symptoms only will show on a few if any rats, and the throat lumps genenerally disappear in a few days. Unfortunately the virus then kicks into high gear with just a few sneezing then all of them, with some showing much worse symptoms, and if you have a lot of rats you might have a sudden death or 2.

I’m sorry can you tell me what SDA is!

He is in a cage at my house in quarentine but it’s all the rats I got at that time from That breeder.
She has siblings and I should mention she has no issues with her rats including sneezing.

As far as sneezes I have been fighting that already cause the air is so dry in my house and with the weather warm and cold and warm and cold. I always have meds but it’s hard when you have all the rats I have to medicate everyone or when your not sure Medicare just 1 or all or seperate them or no...

I of course would and will if needed treat everyone but I need to know what to use and what to do.

Also the boys play rough and he has cuts on him is there anyway it could be a abscess or?

Since I’m already on asking questions why it it my Rats always seem to sneeze.
It’s not like constant but it comes and goes and some More than others. I never know if I need to treat or what.

Last edited:
Here is some info http://ratguide.com/health/viruses/sda.php

Lilspaz68 has experience with this and knows what she is talking about, so she will be able to give you good info and answer your questions.

SDA is very frightening and if you think your rats have SDA or have been exposed, then as the link says, your rats need aggressive treatment with antibiotics asap
If the new rats have SDA, unless you are doing a full quarantine (to ensure you do not infect your other ratties) in a separate airspace, it is my understanding that all the ratties will have been exposed.
Hope they do not have it

Last edited:
I checked them all once home. No one now has any swelling or lumps.and no eye issues. That's SQ for the reading material.

Should in just watch everyone....even his gash on his arm all healed

You can give him zithromax or amoxicillin for the sneezes, as you want to stop any infection in its tracks. In about 4 days if all the rats start sneezing, message me okay?

You can give him zithromax or amoxicillin for the sneezes, as you want to stop any infection in its tracks. In about 4 days if all the rats start sneezing, message me okay?

I checked hi this am. All the swelling is gone and the cut on his leg is healed.
I have 250mg tablets or capsules of Amoxi
I know to mix it. Is it 2 ml water and 4 ml flavor?
Whats the dose again

You want to mix with 1.5 ml of hot water til.dissolved then add 3.5 ml of syrup. This gives you 50 mg/ml amoxicillin. How much does he weigh and I'll work out a dose for him.

Are all your other rats fine? Have any developed respiratory symptoms?

Some of my rats have sneezes but its normal for them. I just bought a sir purifier for the room. And I switched there litter and bedding. The litter was causing some issues. So back tonthe paper pellets.
Noone else has any swollen necks or buldgy eyes or anything

Just the 1 momma of the 2 I am watching for my friend (from my other thread) is having issues. The other mom is fine. Eatting very well. Drinking and babies are well.

If you read the link I gave above on SDA, you will note that not all rats with it will show symptoms ..... if any rats show any signs of illness then they need to be aggressively treated with broad spectrum antibiotics or they may die

Just wanted to update that He is do I g fine. He finished his round of amoxi and everyone is doing very well. No more swollen anything and no sneezes with any of my rats.

Back