Hairless Rat Skin Care?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodentist

My hairless male, Julian, is approaching two (yea!) and today I noticed his skin is looking a tad chapped/dry....I am resisting the urge to rub some cream in him....maybe Curel or Lubriderm? Shiseido?....until I asked to see if anyone else creams their nakkies? Thanks!!

Is there any additional general care that they need due to their nakedness? He has a furry friend for warmth and he really seems good to go.

Thanks!

l_66c1241014580e63457fcac9f25c3eae.jpg

You can try giving him a bit of olive oil every once in a while, it's supposed to help condition their skin. Just a small amount on a small piece of bread once a month or so. Some people even oil their nekkid's skin, just make sure he's okay with being groomed silly by his cagemate to get off any excess. You can put some lotion on him, to help, but you'll need to check with your vet and ask about any brand you plan on using and making sure it's safe to ingest.

Something that I've found to be really great for both nakkies and skinny pigs is extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil. It's okay if they ingest it and really soothes dry, irritated skin. It can be found at health food stores, and some larger grocery stores that have good health food sections.

In it's tub it is in the form of margarine, but is very easy to apply. It smells really good too! ;)

Well! I bought the Aveeno oatmeal cream, and ordered the coconut oil. I have been meaning to try cooking with it, anyway. Thanks guys! Also glad that I'm not the only one with a dry skinned nakkie.

l_ba5850311c893329a22fd6356308bd6d.jpg

That coconut oil rocks! Not only did he instantly feel less chapped, it absorbed completely, and my sad chapped hands look better! And cuticles! Hooray for coconut oil!

Cuticles you say..? I may need to go get me some coconut oil.. And a naked rat to justify it! hehehe!

Back