hairless rat question

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

violet976

do hairless rats do ok with furred rats, or is it just a bad combo? I'm wondering mainly about the debris in the eyes I've seen commonly mentioned with hairless rats.

What are the other major concerns with hairless rats that those who've only owned furred rats would not likely be aware of? I just want to know if I should be considering hairless rats or not for my furred group.

I don't have "true hairless" rats, but I have two double rex rats that have peach fuzz but are pretty much naked. Because they have fur on their faces, they don't have a higher change of getting debris in their eyes than furred rats. It's like the best of both worlds!

They get along super well with my furred rats, because rats are cool and don't judge others if they're missing fur. ;p

Most hairless/double rex rats do not have the issues the Niagara Nakies had. It shouldn't be an issue for them to live with other rats. They will still be more prone to eye issues because they don't have lashes but even lab block dust can cause issues, so there's no reason to not house them with other rats.

I ended up writing to see if the girl was still available, so it will be what it is meant to be.

For the eye issues, how does one stay on top of those to keep them as comfortable as possible and minimize the need for actual cleanings at the vet?

Most don't ever need to see the vet for their eyes. Some may need artificial tears for their eyes or they may get infections but rats that need to be put under to have their eyes cleaned out are very few.

Not using Carefresh, aspen or other beddings that tend to be dusty is a good idea.

I've only had one hairless rat, and she did fine with her furry cage mates. I was lucky that Stella never had eye problems. She was so lovely and warm! I have to admit that I find hairless rats homely, but I never regretted adopting Stella. She had a feisty personality and we loved her very much. So I hope that you get the chance to adopt the ratty.

I have 5 nakeds and one lives with 4 furries and 4 live with one furry. So far the only problem is one boy with a cyst in his eye which has been lanced twice. All the others are doing great eyes-wise. lol

Eye issues and keratin cysts are the common conditions in hairless rats. But the hairless will do very well living with the furries. Can you imagine how soft the furries must feel to them. lol

I had a HORRIBLE time with my Olive who had to eventually have both eyes removed.
Randy Butternubs had to get debris out of his eyes sometimes weekly or by weekly.
You never know what will happen with a nakid.
Just be prepared to spend money at the vet if the need arises.
They are so sweet tho. <3

I have a DCN cage and litter boxes with pellets as the litter so debre I dont really worry about with my 2 girl hairless rats, one being more of a true hairless dumbo while her elder sister (not from the same litter) has peach fuzz. They do very well with my furry boys however. The only thing I have to deal with skin was is that their skin dries out some and it may get to a point that I have to give them an Olive Oil bath lol.

My Wally lives with furry rats and does fine other than a few scratches from
Walking over him.

He had an eye injury many months ago when he lived alone, he scratched his own eye and killed it.

Thanks everyone for the honest replies, it's good to know what can potentially go wrong, as well as also hearing that it's kind of just a game of chance. I sent the email off so it will simply be what it will be. I figure it she is going to have medical issues, she's probably best off here where she will at least get the care needed. I haven't heard anything back yet, so either she has been adopted or they don't check emails on the weekend.

Back