hairless eyes leaking a little red stuff?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machined

hello lately my hairless eyes leak a bit of red stuff once and a while and wondered if it's normal to do so? its not a whole lot but just to wonder. i do clean it off when i see it there to be sure their is no scratches there and i do not see any. as their is other ratties in the cage with her and sometimes they play fight hehe. well i just want to be sure it's nothing to worry about. thanks for any answers. ill try posting a picture later of what exactly im taking about and what it looks like.

Eye problems is common in hairless because they don't have anything to protect the eyes. But what you can do when you see it happen, buy some polysporin ear/eye drops and apply it when you see it. This was recommended by my vet.
I believe you have to ask the pharmacist for it, it's kept over the counter, it's around $10.

If its only a little porphyrin (red fluid) that they clean up after a good grooming its pretty normal. Nakies (as I call them) often have a little more than most. Does yours have pink or ruby eyes?

Excessive porphyrin shows up when rat is sick or stressed.

lilspaz68 said:
If its only a little porphyrin (red fluid) that they clean up after a good grooming its pretty normal. Nakies (as I call them) often have a little more than most. Does yours have pink or ruby eyes?

Excessive porphyrin shows up when rat is sick or stressed.

no she has black looking eyes. but i will go and grab the polysporin for her. it's only a bit of leaking so i hope thats it. thanks a bunch for those answers ill keep you updated.

Just a note, make sure you get polysporin for eye/ear like jorats said, not regular polysporin (which should NOT be used near eyes/ears).

Jennw said:
Just a note, make sure you get polysporin for eye/ear like jorats said, not regular polysporin (which should NOT be used near eyes/ears).

oh yes i will as i know we have the normal kind but we would not use that for are eyes so would not be good for theirs. but i will go today and grab some for the eyes at walmart today they have a pharmacy there.

Back