Hair pulling during intro...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratlets

First off, the boys' cage is right next to the main cage where Devil lives...

I have been putting Devil out with the new boys during play time every now and then. Devil is a nervous boy for a while when he comes out to play... alone or with others. When he sees one of the boys, he poofs up, huffs and puffs, and tugs out a chunk of their fur. I immediately grab him up, bceause I'm afraid that he might do something worse (never has, but I've never had problems with introductions before).

Is the hair-pulling normal? The boys scream and hide afterwards, but after a couple minutes, they're interested in Devil again.

Last night was the first time Devil interacted with them without showing any signs of aggression or fear... for maybe 30 minutes until he pulled out a chunk of someone's fur. I grabbed him up and put him in the boys' cage to hang out and sniff things while they stayed out. I have just now started putting him in their cage to get him used to their scent- I have done it 2 times so far... the second time being after the "good" session. Is this a good idea?

So I guess my question is, am I supposed to interfere when he pulls out their hair? Or am I supposed to just let it happen?

Thanks.

It's "normal" aggressive behavior, but not "normal" behavior in the sense that I think you mean. I would definitely continue to stop him when he does this, since you don't know if it might be taken further. he may stop at that point, but why risk it? The fact that he's taken a while to do it the last time is a good step.

I think you've mixed your steps up a bit, though. The cage swaps should be done prior to face to face meetings. It gets everyone used to the others' smells first hand. All kinds of up close and personal without them being able to claim Their territory. I would also be more consistent with the mutual out times if you decide to skip the cage swapping. Having them interact every day will cause Devil to get over his fear. Think of it as desensitizing him towards the others.

Poor little Delilah was being snatched bald headed and looking very much like Friar Tuck. :help: I knew it was one of the boys and I kept my eyes open watching for the culprit. It turned out to be Rube and Reggie the "twins" who always go in pairs when they are up to no good!! Cheeky boys. After much determination by myself and the T.Ts (Terrible Twins) :crazy4: Them for wanting to keep harrassing Delly and Me for stoping the behavior. Her fur is now growing back nicely. Here's some tips that helped me when introducing new ratties. Socialize with them together away from the cage and bathing them so they both smell the same. :shower: Thoroughly washing the main cage also helps as it gets rid of the overpowering scent of the rattakisses so it won't be so stressful on the new roomate. It takes time and patience though so don't stress out too much. They soon should be one happy family. :rathugz:

I think what you are doing might very well work. Since you are already doing "light intros" so to speak, it's a pretty smart idea to put them in their cage while the others continue their out time. A rat gets to know another rat by their smell and by being in their cage, he's getting to know them a little better. How is he when you put him in their cage? Does he become pouffy and get all stressed out?

Yes, these introes aren't following the order correctly. I was just hoping to give the boys someone to play with while they wait for real introes after they are sterile. I'm worried that if I toss the girls in the bachelor pad with Devil they will get too interested in the boys and attempt to do nothing other than get to them during play time (this is what happened with Kerfuffle first entering the house... the girls could do nothing but think of ways to get to him). Anyway, that is why I'm just sticking Devil in their house while they are roaming with me.

Tonight Devil didn't waste any time with hair pulling... He was good for two or three sniffs before he did it. I put him in the boys' cage while they stayed out.

Devil acts like he thinks nothing of being in the boys' cage. He sniffs everything, but then just goes about being himself... lounging in their hammocks and grooming... eating their food.

Appreciate all the comments so far!

I'm a little confused.. Devil currently lives with the girls, but you were just trying some sort of little intro with Devil until the neuter took, correct?

If that's the case, I'd wait until the "real" intros, as you called them. If Devil is acting that afraid, him dealing with the newbies all on his own isn't going to improve that fact. Hopefully with his cagemates involved, he'll be a little more calm about it.

Until everyone involved no longer freaks out when put into the opposite cage. Some power sniffing and that is expected, but they should be calming down shortly after being put into the other cage, going to sleep in the hammocks, chilling out, etc..

I thought I would mention that my alpha Ruby sometimes will do something similar when she's displaying dominance. She will go up to the rat, nose into their fur and bite and tug. It's not a bad bite and the pull is rather light. Kinda like 'stop doing what you are doing NOW, I AM BOSS'
She does it rather slow.

That's the thing, kat! No one acts freaked out! Every time I have put Devil in the boys' cage, he acts like it's his home and chills. Sheeps is chilling in there now, too.

LA, Devil does it very fast and actually pulls out chunks of fur! It scares me to leave him there, and the boys are terrified! Of course, the boys keep trying to be friendly with him after a few minutes of staying away from him.

If all of the rats are able to go into the opposite cage and not freak out about it, then go ahead and try a neutral territory. Tub, different space, etc..

And I should just leave them be unless there's blood? I'm so paranoid about leaving them (instead of grabbing Devil) when Devil poofs up!

I would do the neutral ground intro as well. Watch Devil closely, if he does it, pick him up and flip him over and hold him down for a few seconds then release.

So far, your intros have been Devil by himself, right? That may be part of the problem. He sounds rather insecure about things, so having his cagemates with him may help some. If he gets really aggressive, and starts actively going after the newbs, then I would suggest that you intervene.

You want to end on a positive note, so get through what you can without any problems. From there you can lengthen their time together in increments.

Back