GPS recommendations?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victoria

We are looking to buy a GPS for the car - does anyone have any recommendations or advice? We would be using it only in Canada and need something with a big screen.

Thanks!

I would like to see what others have to say too. I've never had one before so I'm not sure what makes a GPS a good one

I think they are mostly the same. I have a Garmin of some sort and its good.

The only thing I would watch out for is the lifelong map update option. The old GPS my parents handed down to me required me to pay for map updates but when I went to download one it was actually the same price to update to a new gps system with lifelong map updates than it was to just update the old one. The lifelong update allows you to update maps 3 or 4 times a year, and map updates are definitely required often in some areas. In Hamilton here I had to update the map because it didn't even recognize a new highway that was built not too long ago and some of the roads that used to be one way are now two and some that were two ways are now one.

I've been told that Garmin is better than Tomtom and it was suggested I load Google Maps onto the Garmin. We'll go shopping for one soon and I'll post what we end up with :)

The nice thing about the map updates is that you can load the GPS with another country's maps. My husband did that when we went to Greece a few years ago, and we do it for England. It saved us from getting lost a few times. Rental cars have GPS rental as an option, but they charge too much for it (I think about $15/day).

Back