Gotta love Peta

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagle

Just saw on the news that Peta wants President Obama to spare the flies. Apparently he killed a fly on TV, he was supposed to use a humane insect trap.
:doh:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG that is so totally ridiculous!

A humane insect trap, LMAO - i think you got it right Eagle with the clapped hands

Here's the news article...

From CTV.ca

PETA wishes Obama hadn't swatted that fly

WASHINGTON -- The group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals wants the flyswatter in chief to try taking a more humane attitude the next time he's bedeviled by a fly in the White House.

PETA is sending President Barack Obama a Katcha Bug Humane Bug Catcher, a device that allows users to trap a house fly and then release it outside.

"We support compassion even for the most curious, smallest and least sympathetic animals," PETA spokesman Bruce Friedrich said Wednesday. "We believe that people, where they can be compassionate, should be, for all animals."

During an interview for CNBC at the White House on Tuesday, a fly intruded on Obama's conversation with correspondent John Harwood.

"Get out of here," the president told the pesky insect. When it didn't, he waited for the fly to settle, put his hand up and then smacked it dead.

"Now, where were we?" Obama asked Harwood. Then he added: "That was pretty impressive, wasn't it? I got the sucker."

Friedrich said that PETA was pleased with Obama's voting record in the Senate on behalf of animal rights and noted that he has been outspoken against animal abuses.

Still, "swatting a fly on TV indicates he's not perfect," Friedrich said, "and we're happy to say that we wish he hadn't."

Deputy press secretary Josh Earnest said the White House has no comment on the matter.

Peta Catalog said:
From the Peta Catalog: This is a Katcha Bug™ Humane Bug Catcher.

200-HP220.jpg

Are you the kind of person who wouldn't hurt a fly? Is your motto "live and let live," even when it comes to tiny, six-legged, uninvited house guests? Then the Katcha Bug Humane Bug Catcher is for you! Simply place Katcha Bug over the bug and slowly slide its plastic trapdoor shut. The bug will step onto the trapdoor as it closes, and you can carry Katcha Bug outside, where all you need to do is slide the trap door open, allowing the bug to walk away. You'll have no problem catching even large spiders with this handy gadget. Katcha Bug measures 9 inches in length, so you won't have to get too close for comfort.

Cost: $8.00

:thumbup: PETA

someone needs to be over the top to get people talking & thinking.

Also to balance the idiots in BC that are killing cougars because they don't have enough food and are hanging around places where people live or like to walk. People need to move or change their habits, animals don't deserve to be shot because they are hungry. They need to look at ways to help animals instead.

Besides, the comment "That was pretty impressive, wasn't it? I got the sucker." was a bit much.

btw, when I was a kid, I used to catch flies and set them free outside ... I became very good at it ... lets sing a chorus of "born free". Just one of my hidden talents ... :wink:
Why would anyone kill a fly (bee, wasp, hornet, etc) when you can just let it go outdoors?

I need to get me one of those...

Last night, I caught an earwig and I just couldn't kill it. :oops: I scooped him up in a cup and brought him outside.

I will catch a fly, wasp, moth, butterfly, with a jar and a piece of paper if it comes into the house.
I will put a bug on a piece of paper and throw it outside (im not gentle, i admit - and if it were a spider, it would probably end up dead just because i am terrified)

but catching a fly in something like that? pfft. Get some fly tape, or a fly swatter

Jeez!!! PeTA is ridiculous yet again.

I used to kill flies al the time but recently I've taken to taking a leg or a wing off and let them live out the rest of their lives slightly handicapped. I don't always kill everyting I see, I have a deep compassion for worms and look like an idiot on a rainy day trying to avoid them.

Flies are hard to nor kill, because they give humans a very small chance to practice hunting. That's why I believe women shop, it's just like hunting or why children played manhunt. Humans should be out hunting and gathering like they used to, but society doesn't allow for that so we kill flies.

You need to move to my neighborhood Dee, then you could go hunting and would likely fit right in ...
Yesterday afternoon a pregnant teen was stabbed across the street from my apartment (my building was part of the crime scene) and a block away (actually the street behind my building) had two shooting incidents - one was a drive by, not sure about the other. (Breakthenight lives in the apartment building across the parking lot and has kept me informed :thumbup: I've been a bit distracted with Gracie.)

As for flys, etc. best way to catch and release without hurting them is using a jar or glass and a piece of paper as previously suggested. Very gently, of course, so the insect is not harmed.

SQ said:
a insect trap that does not hurt the insect.
Don't know of any specifically, except the one peta sells.

do you think its their way of making cash? making people feel crap for killing flies then offering them silly items to help with the problem - that u cant find anywhere else? lol

Im sure EVERYONE has a cup or a glass and a piece of paper lying around somewhere

AND.. its a million times easier to catch a wasp, butterly, bee, etc. than it is a fly... its damn hard enough to swat them nevermind catch it in a glass

Oh gosh PETA!! Hmm...flies. I mean, yeah, they're living things, yeah, I try not to kill them, but this is even outrageous. Obama swatted a fly, send a him the 'so called' humane thingamajig and all the flies in the world aare safe. PETA should send it to everyone if they really want this darn thing to work. :p

they can send it to everyone but me. i can see corvis with it now... its safer for all humans and animals for that thing not to come in the house. and if it wasn't corvis finding new uses for it all i wuld have to do would be to wait for laura or kevin to get bored.... then you KNOW what would happen, when i would actually need it for its proper purpose i would never be able to find it.... :p

while i think its a pretty smart advertising campaign for PETA to charge the president with fly abuse, as it does have everyone talking, i don't think its necessarily attention that PETA wants. really that goes right out there in left field, even for PETA, if you want to affect real change in how animals as a whole are treated you do not want to look first like a whack job. no one takes a whack job seriously...

anyway, that;s my take on that.

I love all animals EXCEPT Flies. I mean, it's not my life's goal to completely wipe them all out or anything, but I despise them.
Obama killing a Fly is the least of our worries at this point in time.

The fact that PETA would get made over this was completely ridiculous. I can't stand PETA either although I love animals.
Extremists. :gaah:

I think SQ is right. Peta is getting a lot of attention with this over-the-top/extremist position and they're getting a lot of news coverage. While people might consider this situation to be rather foolish now, people will remember Peta - long after this story dies away - and that's ultimately what Peta wants. :D

Back