Got two new babies

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kat

So my mom and stepdad really wanted to get more rats, so they got two really young ones thinking they were both girls. So i decided to check for myself just to make sure, and it turns out one is actually a boy. So me and my mom decided to get one more boy, and one more girl, so we can split them and they wouldnt have to be alone. So i have a question, if i were to get the two level critter nation, can i split it for the upper level to be for the boys, and the upper level for the girls? Can males and females live that close to one another? If they females went into heat, would it stress out the males? We cant, and wouldnt want to return one of them to the store to get another female because we're already attached to them. So would that be a possibility to have them living in the same cage, with the levels seperated ofcourse, no access to one another. or would it be too much stress on the males?

well you can certainly do that with the cage and i have heard of people splitting an FN like that or having their males and females cages sharing the same space, so i think its ok. i cna't tell you anything from experience much though, all my males are neutered. i did have some unneutered males here for a while and the females cage was in the same room, not on top of each other but they all shared the same livingroom for the their cages and play area. didn't seem to stress anyone out during that time. so i think it should be fine.

or you could have the male(s) neutered or female(s) spayed and then you could have a mixed colony. i have one of those, and i am extremely happy with it.

It would stress them.
Personally I don't think it is safe to have males and females in the same household unless one sex is neutered or spayed.
Rats are very very smart and motivated, and people are not perfect.

So my best course of action would be to neuter the male? So in that case, if i got one more male, and one more female, and neutered the two males, then i can house the ratties together?

Kat said:
So my best course of action would be to neuter the male? So in that case, if i got one more male, and one more female, and neutered the two males, then i can house the ratties together?

As already stated - yup! you can totally house them together!
I am such a fan of neutered boys its not even funny...so im obviously biased....but i LOVE my mixed colony my little girl Mac is house with my two big boys Goose and Dewey and she couldnt be happier - they always sleep together and I dont have to worry about mistakes....because it does happen....and no one wants to see their baby girl get pregnant by mistake...or i personally wouldnt...

Kat said:

It might be more cost effective to just spay / neuter one of the 2 ratties you have now, and if you still want to get more ratties make sure you just get the oppsite gender. Unless of course you have your heart set on 2 boys and 2 girls.

I believe spaying females have more of a health benefit then neutering males which is why I bring it up. So if you spayed your current female, you could get more boys.

I have to agree that it is risky to have both sexes in one household, but not impossible. I have had boys and girls for over a year and no accidents. My boys do not seem to be bothered by the girls and vise versa. But don't get me wrong, I am for spaying and/or neutering rats 100%. As soon as I can I will have all the boys neutered (the boys because I have less boys then girls and neuters tend to be less expensive). Lastly I would not suggest housing boys and girls in the same cage even if they are seperated...its too easy for them to get to each other!

How old should they be for a neuter/spay? Generally, which one is cheaper? And final question, which one is safer --has a faster healing time.

Age totally depends on your vet, some will do it younger others like to wait. Safeness will also depend on your vet...Do you trust them? Do they have experience with rats and surgery? And so on...

I am pretty sure neutering is generally cheaper, faster recovery time totally depends on the rat. Some rats heal fine, some rats will tear out their stitches, some rats get abcesses... I do know that a neuter is a bit less invasive.

i think i would feel safer with neuters. i just got my cat spayed a few days ago and she ripped out all her stitches, so now she has to stay at the vet for two days to make sure shes ok :( shes older, almost 4. but because of all the stress, spaying scares me now lol >.<

these are my two new babies.... the fawn is the male - Edward, and the black&white is the female - Bella. Yes, im addicted to the Twilight saga lol.

IMG_0630.jpg

as lilratsy has said, the prices and safety will greatly depend on the vet you use. i have 2 vets that i use. only one would i trust to do a neuter and neither would i trust for a spay. they are both competient vets and i trust them with my rats lives on more then one occasion, but one vet has not ever done a spay or neuter on a rat and given what i've seen of cat spays and what the vet tells me, they just don't have the fine enough equipment for a rat spay on such a small body. i would definitely want a vet that appreciates the size and difficulty because of it and has the proper equipment and knowledge with rat operations. it is dangerous to use a injectable anesthesia, as it is easy to overdose and difficult for the rat to metabolize, so they need to go under the gas alone whenever possible. i trust one of my vets for neuters as she has done MANY rat neuters in the past and with wonderful results. the boys are feeling back to themselves by the evening, never have i experienced scaring from her neuters and only once was their post neuter abscesses (but that was on a rat that we later found out was VERY easy to abscess). whereas, other vets that have done neuters have left scaring. this doesn't seem to bother the rat itself much though it worried me. magi was done by a vet in halifax, he had scaring and had to be on pain meds for a few days after the operation, whereas the only i have done here had a pain reliever after surgery and did not need another dose after the first had worn off.

that is my experience with neuters and my thoughts on spaying though. spaying has HUGE benefits in dropping tumor incidence rates to from over 80% to under 10%, a drop in likihood of tumors by over 70%. that's quite significant. however the males have some health benefits as well, hormonal aggression is eliminated and in both genders it is reported that the altered animal will live longer on average.

do remember though, that after a neuter, the male is still fertile for 3 weeks so no interaction between males and females until then. if the female is spayed, they can be together as soon as the female is back on her feet after the operation, assuming that the male and female know each other; otherwise, introductions can begin instead.

if i had the money for it and a vet that i trusted to do the operation i would have my females spayed as well. as it stands for me now though, i do not have that kind of money nor the vet. instead i have my males neutered. this is because i am horribly allergic to intact males, as well as i have females and want them all to live together and have a vet in my area that i can trust with their neuters.

when finding a vet to do this surgery ask them how they anesthetize(you want gas, not injection), do they take out the fatty tissue as well (in reference to neuters (my vet does this as she claims it lessens swelling and scaring, thus less pain and chance of infection)), how long does it take for the operation, what is their history with this operation on rats, at what age do they do this operation (they may give you a different age depending on the gender), then finally the price. other people may suggest that you have them on antibiotics before and after the operation and insist on pain meds. you should ask if they are given pain meds after the operation as well. of course, when calling around the first question would be to ask if any of the vets in the clinic does spays or neuters on rats. you will likely find that this will be the only question you will need to ask in many places if your area is anything like mine. many vets do not even see rats. however, it is very important that you find a good rat vet as you WILL need them even if you opt not to have a speuter done. rats are wonderful creatures and normally quite hardy in what they can bounce back from, however their lungs are very delicate and they are prone to cancers and benign tumors. at some point during your rat's life s/he'll need to see a vet and it is always better to have one lined up instead of having to find one in the time of need.

ok, my ranting is over. i hope that i've helped somewhere along the lines there.

I actually found out about a vet about 15 mins drive from where I live who specializes in small animals and exotics, going to give them a call tomorrow morning and ask about the neutering. Thanks for all the replies guys :) dont know what i'd do without this forum lol

Back