Got my DCN yesterday!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesseferd

This much space for only 3 girls... They are in heaven! To make things even better, I came home Monday to find that litter training is *almost* successful! 2 of my girls have got it. The youngest one has made it to only using one corner of the bottom level.
So after a night in the DCN, same thing. This morning, I moved the litter box to the corner she used. We'll see how it goes today... I am still one proud papa! My other 2 picked it up so fast.
I haven't cleaned the box out yet, still moving old poos into it. Any tips for helping the slow girl get the hang of it?
I wasn't planning on getting the DCN for a couple of months... So I'm completely unprepared as far as floor/shelving covers go. Right now, they're wrapped in beach towels, which match, so it looks decent. My mom said she'll sew the covers if I find the fabric. The sets I find online are so expensive, and I am now broke! Where is the best place to get fleece?
AAAAAHHHHHHHH! I'M SO EXCITED!

I picked up most of my fleece from thrift stores and FabricLand. I've seen a few mentions from Americans that they find good prices at Walmart, getting blankets for ~$3 each and that's a pretty good deal. I'd start with those.

Joann fabrics for fleece and you can usually find coupons in the Sunday's papers. Its almost always on sale too. Put in more than one liter box we have 3 in each of our DCNs

I'll try doing more than one box tonight. The main place she keeps going is either in front of the litter box, or in the opposite corner (bottom section)
I did find 4 raisins in the top section, under the ladder earlier... So I guess I need one up there. I just hate to undo the progress I've made with the other 2! I've seen them each race down from their cube, all the way down to their litter box in the bottom. Which is freakin adorable! Lol!
Should I continue to leave the box dirty until the last one has it? I'm making another box for the top right now.

I checked a discount store called Fred's, they have some 50 by 60 throws for $4, and some twin size blankets for $6.50. Seems like a decent deal.
There's a Joann fabrics about 30 min from my house. I will try there when I get paid Friday. Fabric stores make my eyes blood red and watery! Lol, anyone else have this problem?

Joann Fabrics make me poor!! I keep buying the cute fabrics and they are piling up because I don't have time to sew the hammocks, etc. We have a litter box on the bottom level (if you are facing the cage) back right corner, third level back left corner, and top tray on the right side - back right corner. They are never going to all go in the liter box - you will always be scooping and pee almost never goes in the boxes. You can clean the boxes just leave alittle still in them so they still have the smell.

When I clean my litter boxes, I NEVER EVER EVER EVER wipe them down, rinse them, or wash them out. I simply dump the old litter, then refill them. That way, it still smells familiar to your babies. My boys, luckily, are really good about the litter box. Every so often Dover will poo on the second level of my CN, but never constantly. He's also blind, so when he DOES use the litter box, he'll walk into the general AREA of the litter box, but sometimes he misses.

Chesywck, I'm proud of though. The other day, I had them out playing, and they were pea fishing. I was watching them all being adorable, and Chessy was sitting in the shallow end of the paint tray, eating a pea, then all of a sudden he looked up, dropped his snack, and BOLTED for the litter box! My roomates and I all clapped, it was hysterical!

Here's what we've got so far... I just made a makeshift litter box for the upper level. It will look better once I can go buy rattie things on Friday.
2ebetuqy.jpg

Thanks! They are so happy :)
They keep waking up to play, when they normally would be sleeping. They really want a 4th sister, but I'm going to get the litter training under control first.

Your cage looks AWESOME! They must be such happy little ladies!

Just another quick thing, since you have a DCN, I suggest two litter boxes! One in the top half, one in the bottom, so they won't get lazy!

That's the advice a couple of others gave. I made a makeshift one for the top earlier. I'll get another decent one on Friday. Thanks to everyone for their kind words and advice! I feel like it looks crappy compared to the ones I see on here. But they are very happy! My skittish girl, Fern, has come out of her shell so much in just the past 2 days. Coincidently, she's the one who hasn't gotten the hang of the litter box... Lol, at least she's making progress :)

Congratulations on your new DCN - what a rockin' cage, eh?
I have one and I have four litter pans in my cage right now, two upstairs and two downstairs. I find the best way is to see where they poop, and then put the litter boxes in those places. I also try and make sure the pan has a low lip so it's not a big effort to climb into the pan - the easier the better. For a couple of the pans I went to the Dollar store and bought a plastic food storage container, and then cut the walls down to about an inch high, and sanded them smooth. Cheap, and you can customize to some degree...

Thanks! I will try that! They've stayed awake playing and checking out the cage so much, I don't think there is any way they will wake up for play time tonight. :-(

Congrats on the new housing! I bet your kiddos love it.
I find fleece at local fabric stores and thrift shops. Sometimes the fabric stores will have remnants super cheap.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk 2

Back