Got a cage, :):) Thanks everyone!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowpaws

Alright. I don't want to buy a mesh based cage of any sort, since Nubs has been gifted with only 2 feet. He gets his "nubs" caught on evvverrrrryyything, even when he's playing around my room. :( I've got him in a large rabbit cage, but not does it open at the top so I can't hang hammies from it, the bar spacing is too wide and he got a nub caught in it trying to escape and flipped over and screamed. He hung from a nub. :(:(

I plan on getting more rats, once I've got a job and once I get a better cage. I want to get at least another 3- 4 rats, so I don't want to buy a small cage. I wanted to get a FN, but the levels are wire mesh. I know, I can put flanel cloth over it, but Nubs is special, he likes to be UNDER his carpet. :oops: And then he gets angry with me if I try to take him out.

Am I over doing this, or can everyone else see my dilemma? His little peg legs get caught in little cracks and crevices. I saw this cage on the Petsmart website and it looked perfect:

pPETS-3757556t400.jpg
The draw backs? It's $269. :evil: And it's web only, which means I'd need to ship it. :evil: Butbutbut, notice the plastic flooring? :D Pefect for a nubby rat! :love1:

Then there was these ones:
pPETS-3765018dt.jpg
$159! And smaller mesh flooring! :p

pPETS-3756884dt.jpg
$149, but the holes in the levels look WAY to small for full grown rats to come through. :roll: Plus, the ramps are really steep. :(

PJ's Pet Store has cages, but their either PURE mesh, or too small. I've looked on their website, but they don't even have a catalog. :( Help me! :( I'm getting stuck and frustrated. Not only is most of this out of my price range, but nothing looks like it's going to work out right now... Nubs is growing like a weed, (he's around 4 months old) and he's getting lonely without a companion.

I have the second one you posted - the great part about it is that the bottom floor's mesh is removable, so there's only one mesh floor level. The only problem I've had with it is that like with most ferret cages babies or small girls can get out if you leave it unmodified. For Nubs' special needs, you could almost certainly cover the middle floor of this cage with some sort of linoleum.

The FN has pans, not mesh.

The martins rat cages have wire mesh floors but I cover mine with linoleum. They also have mesh ramps which can be covered with a sock.

That large cage, the first one is a nice big cage but and there are many things I like about that cage But:
- The door size and placement does not make cleaning easy.
- Also the fairly deep troth on the shelves (known as "pee rivers") are also a pain in the butt when it comes to cleaning.

One thing I am thinking about that first one is that some of the ramps seem quite steep and with a little man with nubs, it might be hard for him to get up the ramps.

I don't think you are over doing it. He deserves the best.

The Super Pet cages (first and last) are 100% adjustable. The holes are plenty big for even big boys (they're made for ferrets), and the levels and ramps can be placed anywhere you want... So it's completely adjustable. Some people like them, some people hate them. Personally, I don't mind the bigger ones, we have some in the rescue that aren't so bad.

I'd also look at Martin's, if I were you... As mentioned, the floors and ramps can be covered. :)

thanks everyone, i'm looking into martins now, kimmy. how's the price range on them?

i didn't think of linoleum, :) and as for fleece liners, cityratt, that was my first idea, but then having them secured tightly enough to not let him under them, but easy enough for me to take them out and clean them... i just kept hitting a wall there. :?

so i looked at martins... and with $50+ on shipping, i'm not sure. plus, my mom doesn't have a credit card. :( i'd rather not use paypal or something...

i'm really thinking of going with the last cage that i showed in the first post. it's huge, and really spacious. great for hammies and toys.

I have the 3rd one, and like it a lot. (What Kimmiekins said) However, the ramps r kinda flimsy, and u need 2 put the platforms quite close together for the ramps to be flatter. Most of the time I don't even use the ramps. But besides that it's a very nice cage, and the holes are huge.

I've had my rats in that Superpet one, the last pic. It's a nice cage, rats loved it but my only problem is the groove in the levels. It held all the pee and poops. very ucky. But if you wipe them down daily, it might not be a problem for you.

I got past the "pee grooves" in my super pet by putting fabric on those levels.. you could cut holes appropriate for the holes in the levels as well.

shadowpaws I can give you a Superpet right now if you want it? It's 2'x2'x2'. But it comes with no levels or ramps so you will have to get creative, but I can help you with that. I have MacGyvered this cage so many times (got rid of the shelves with their pee river groove).

Joanne gave it to me awhile ago, and I think its time to pass it on to a worthy rat :)

It has looked like this..

SmokeyandWilbersSuperpetNov4.jpg

Luckysnewcage2.jpg

and recently this...

PunksSPfromfront2.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

YOU CONTINUE TO ASTOUND ME SHELAGH! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

I managed to borrow some money from a friend of mine, (such a sweetie!) and i bought a brand new super pet cage.

sp60227.jpg

I'll post pics in a bit, I need to upload them all. Thank you so much though, oh gosh. :D :D Your so sweet, thank you!

Back