Goose and Dewey - post neuter PANIC

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cityratt

Please think good thoughts for my baby boys today....
They're getting neutered today at 10

their mama will be with them :D

Lots and lots of healing vibes for the two!!! Keeping my fingers and toes crossed too. ...I've just spoken to my rats and they will cross their tails too!

The boys and mama are home! I'd like to say that everyone is resting comfortably, but i cant really speak for the kids.... I wake them up and they both kinda look at me :shock: "Where did they go mom?"

:giggle:

Is it common pratice to give a drop of metacam post-op to help with pain? or will that only make them think they aren't hurting and then make them run around and hurt themselves??

Also do you guys start your kids on a round of baytril post-op to ward off infection?

I always do a course of Baytril for surgeries. Usually I try and have them on it a few days before and try to even it out to somewhere around 14 days.

Metacam after surgery is totally acceptable, IMO. Just make sure if your vet used any before or after the surgeries. I believe some vets, like Dr. Munn, give a shot with surgeries, and so the rat is covered for the first 24hrs. My vets doesn't do such things, so I dosed my girls for 2-4 days after their spays. When they stop doing the owie stretches, I taper off the pain meds. You want to keep it to a lower dosage, so a drop or two would be fine.

And YAY good surgeries!! :happydance:

Most vets give a pain med injection that lasts for 24 hours after surgery.
If so, then you start giving 1 drop of medicam a day after 24 hours.

I always give an antibiotic like baytril, after surgeries too.

I know they didn't get injectable pain meds, because I was there during the surgeries....

Is the dose just one drop of metacam? or is there a more acceptable way to dose it out?

Wait, do you have the 10ml dropper bottle? If so, it works out to 0.2-0.1mg/kg. Which, by the dropper bottle concentrations, is aprox a drop or two.

If not, then yea, the 1mg/kg would work out fine.

!!!!!
Im pretty sure Goose has gotten one of his stitches out at the end of his incision. there is a "hole" and it is oozing blood now and again (he's not bleeding per-se, more like he oozes for a second after flailing about while i tried to look at him type of deal).

I am seriously trying not to freak right out here, because i know rats have abcessed bigger than the hole he has and have lived to tell about it right? right?

The Dr. did the neuter via scrotal technique, and the inguinal canal is closed (or else i would be freaking out even more) so really, it cant be that bad right? He is on Baytril. and Has been given metacam. Is resting comfortably and eating/drinking and seems bright and alert, he was bruxxing on my shoulder not long ago.

He does have disolvable PDS holding the rest of his incision, so I dont think i could give him a siltz soak for fear of disolving the remaining sutures...

I feel like i want to vomit.

Don't panic!! It's normal and it happens. My Oliver had a huge hole when he decided he didn't like his new sutures. I drove like crazy back to the vet and she laughed at me. She said no worries, make sure he's in a clean cage and it will be closed soon enough. And she was right.

Jo,
thank you so much for being online right now. I've been trying to talk myself down off the ledge for the last 20 minutes, sitting on the kitchen floor crying with Gooser on my shoulder bruxing and cleaning away.

I'm just going to make sure his linens are clean like twice a day for the next little bit, and make sure he has his Baytril on board.

I really cant help but worry. There such a sense of responsability when its an elective procedure....

Oh I know what you mean. When Oliver was done, my vet was trying a new procedure, going with just the one middle incision and when that opened up, we could even see the inside quite well. I thought I was going to die. I bet by tomorrow it's closed up.

A little bleeding can happen, so I wouldn't worry (Goose sure isn't :roll:).

Its the surgeries that go into the abdominal cavity like a spay that are the ones you worry about stitches being pulled out with the internal sutures, but neuters and non-invasive tumour removals even if it opens up a bit its still all good.

Breathe ((hugs))

As Jo said, he'll be perfectly fine. Just keep his cage clean and keep up with the Baytril.

My girl Mac had pulled all of her staples out after her spay, before we had even gotten home from the vet. Talk about freak out.. She was perfectly fine about it, though, and only developed the smallest abscess known to rats.

Thanks so much guys...man all my reasoning went out the window that night :oops:

The boys seem much more like themselves temperment wise which is good to see!

Thank you all for your wonderful support :grouphug:

Back