Goodbye Steve Rest in Peace (1971-2008)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharlees rattakisses

Firefighter killed in accident

Peterborough EMS, T.O. Fire mourn colleague

By JASON BUCKLAND, SUN MEDIA

The Toronto Sun

Toronto firefighter Steve Van Hemme died while on his way to help others.

A firefighter for eight years, Van Hemme was killed around 6 a.m. in Peterborough yesterday when his motorcycle was struck by a pickup truck backing onto the street.

Van Hemme, a married father of a 5-month-old girl, was on his way to his second job as a part-time medic with Peterborough EMS.

"He was one of those guys who helped anybody, any time of the day, any way he could," Toronto Fire District Chief Paul Halls said.

"Steve never wore out. He always had a smile on his face, always wanted to treat people when they were at their lowest, when they needed him," Halls said.

Residents and emergency workers in the two communities were in shock yesterday, grasping to cope with the loss of the 37-year-old who lived in Peterborough, but made the commute to Toronto.

"There was always this tug-of-war between the two cities as to who got to hang out with him," said Troy Lindmeier, a long-time friend and partner at Station 322 on Cosburn Ave.

"We all wanted a piece of him ... everyone wanted him around," he said.

Lindmeier and a gang of close friends rushed to be with Van Hemme's wife, Jody, and their daughter Kayley, when they heard the news.

Acceptance was hard to find around that Peterborough home last night, he said.

"Jody? She's still in emergency mode, I don't think it's really sunk in yet.

"We can't believe one of us is gone," Lindmeier said. "I was supposed to go to work with him tomorrow."

Funeral arrangements have not yet been finalized, but a joint service between Toronto Fire and Peterborough EMS is expected for early next week.

Those who knew Van Hemme said he was always on his "A" game -- whether at home, work or in between -- and loved playing golf, often tossing out Seinfeld quotes.

For a short guy, Lindmeier joked, he was a pretty darn good basketball player, too.

"He was just such a likeable fella," said Bob English, director of Peterborough EMS. "We lost one of our good guys."

Memorial set up for fallen paramedic
Posted By SARAH DEETH, Examiner Police Writer
Updated 1 day ago

A vigil was held on Parkhill Road Thursday afternoon for local paramedic Steve Van Hemme.

Mr. Van Hemme, 37, also a Toronto firefighter, died early Wednesday morning after his motorcycle and a pickup truck collided on Parkhill Road.

About 20 emergency services personal gathered on the grass near the collision’s location.

Flowers, a wreath and a wooden cross marked the spot where they lost their friend and colleague.

Wayne Redman, a paramedic who organized the vigil, said he had no idea so many would show up.

Redman said he’s driven by other accident scenes before and has seen crosses, flowers and wreaths placed there in memory of a loved one.

“I drove by here this morning and realized there was nothing here to commemorate Steve’s life,” Redman said.

“I know he’d do it for anyone else.”

Most people, he said, are still very upset over the loss.

“It comes in waves,” he said. “You feel good, you feel terrible, you feel good, you feel terrible.”

A funeral for Mr. Van Hemme is planned for Tuesday at 1 p.m. at the Calvary Pentecostal Church on Lansdowne Street W

Peterborough EMS director Bob English said the service is open to the public.

Following the service, English said, firefighters and paramedics, wearing their dress uniforms, will form an honour guard outside the chapel.

Every paramedic, he said, will have the day off to attend the service.

“Our whole staff is being replaced by outside services,” English said, adding that outside EMS directors are donating their personnel to free up local paramedics.

Family and friends can attend a visitation at the Comstock Funeral Home on Rubidge Street Sunday from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. and Monday from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.

The family is asking for donations to the Canadian Cystic Fibrosis Foundation or the Heart and Stroke Foundation Defibrillator Fund in lieu of flowers.

A trust fond has been set up for Mr. Van Hemme’s infant daughter Kayley. Enquiries about making a donation to the trust fund are being directed to the Comstock Funeral Home at 745-4683.

Steve worked with my husband Jim as a Toronto Firefighter. I was shocked and saddened to hear of his death on the same day we (all the Fire fighters on the same shift) and there partners were to meet for a dinner party. Just last month we had a great laugh (mostly at his expence) when My husband Jim along with co-workers and truck showed up in the evening of my daughter Holly's twelve birthday, they wanted to wish her well and share an ice cream cone. I was on my way to the shower (wrapped in a towel) when they arrived so I stood in the upstairs window in the dark to chat a bit. Steve trains his flashlight on the window I was in and says "come on down so I can see how much weight you lost so far!!" "Jim says you lost quite a bit" I yell back and say that I'm dressed only in a towel and get the light off me as it wasn't his birthday!! The light was quickly moved away with Steve saying "CRAP sorry!!" and us all laughing about it. I swear I could see his face flaming red from embarrassment!! Thank you for all the times you dropped by our house with the crew (and the fire truck) to deliver much needed cat food, milk and to lend your muscle to move my treadmill and washer and dryer. What girl wouldn't like 6 hunky Fire Fighters in gear in there house? You found it funny that we had a cat named Steve and told my girls that you thought that it was neat we named him after you!! I will miss your visits, your laid back nature and your quick wit. Rest in Peace Steve.:heart:Sharlee.

I was reading the Peterborough newspaper yesterday online and saw that.
I'm sorry to hear you knew him. I used to live right near the crash sight, it's usually fairly safe.

Thank you for sharing your special memories if Steve with us.
He sounds like a very special person.
I am so sorry for the loss all of you must be feeling.

:hugs:

I am so sorry for all of you. Steve sounds like he was a very special person.
Let this be a reminder - none of us are promised tomorrow. Life is sacred and short.

Melissa

Gah. I miss steve. I feel most sorry for his daughter (who is only 2 weeks old) she'll never know her father :sad3:

How heartbreaking. Try to get people to write stories about Steve, have them bound so she will have all these wonderful stories about her father. Even if it's just a sentence or two every word will be precious to her and make her Daddy more real.

Melissa

Back