Good Foods List

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamarat2

Hiya all!

I have a potential adopter who is asking me about foods she can feed her rats. I sat down last night to make a list and just decided to shoot her a link of the Forbidden Food list, as that seems to be a heck of a lot shorter ;D

Any of you have a document made up that is a list of foods you can feed the rats? Yah I know its a lot. If anyone has something and would like to share, it would be great. I'm going to make up the list and anyone who helped out will sure get a full copy back via email or others interested. Or even just making a post here with say 5-10 things YOU feed. Looking for veggies/fruits, natural treats (almonds, etc). Already have the Innova senior base diet down, so looking for more along the lines of supplemental fresh foods :) to add variety to their diets.

Thanks ahead of time!

Jen

I see on RS we already have this link going: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4753

So I'll also take whats already on there :D Anyone have anything else to add?

jorats said:
foods as in treats or as in a staple diet?

I'm more going towards diet here, as in supplemental fresh foods but since I'm making a list already, I was going to do a treat list. For example, with you Jo I know you also rotate your veggies - kale, salad greens.....I can't remember! But that kind of thing, see below:

Fresh Diet supplements:
Eggs - scrambled/hard boiled (older/pregnant/lactating needing more protein)
bananas
cantaloupe
broccoli
carrots
cauliflower
brussel sprouts
green beans
red/black beans (cooked only)
pasta - uncooked/cooked
grapes
strawberries
cherries
raspberries
blackberries

Treats
almonds
pecans
walnuts
brazil nuts

The one for the diet, it should be noted that these should not replace a good quality lab block but only added on.
Also, people should be reminded that a rats stomach is very very tiny so the quantity of the supplement must be very small or else there won't be any room for the block which contains all the nutrients a rat needs.

A rule of thumb for good foods: low fat, low protein, no sugar, no salt.

You've got a good list going... you can add all green leaf vegetables which are really good for rats.

* Artichoke
* Beet greens
* Bok choy
* Borage
* Brussels sprouts
* Collards
* Cabbage
* Chard
* Dandelion
* Egg Plant
* Endive
* Escarole
* Garden cress
* Garden Rocket (Arugula)
* Horseradish
* Kailan
* Kale
* Kohlrabi
* Mint
* Mustard greens
* Nasturtium
* Oregano
* Purslane
* Romaine
* Sage
* Sorrel
* Spinach
* Tatsoi
* Turnip greens
* Watercress

Yes, this is not replacing lab blocks or in our case here Innova senior dog food. Its so hard to get large amounts of harlan shipped in that our rat coordinator did some research and is suggesting that now. It's made with human grade products :D

Keep in mind though, dog food is definitely not formulated with all the nutrients a rat needs. Also, it's not energy dense enough for rats. But like you already mentioned, if HT is not a possibility then you go with what you can.

where i have girls and want to cut back on risk of urinary infection and tumors i give mine a small waterbottle of cranberry juice cut with some blueberry juice for a bit added sweetness. this is done about once a week to every few days so they don't get bored with it.

mine also like their sweet and sour winter greens (includes broccoli, broccoli stems, cauliflower, onion, and green beans) on a bed of rice. for my crew i have found they prefer cooked veggies and pastas over raw. put frozen veggies in a fry pan and add VH sweet and sour sauce, cook til warm all the way through. mix well with cooked rice, cool to make sure no one burns their tongue and serve. for sickies with breathing issues the softer veggies and rice seems to be easier to eat. the sweet and sour probably isn't the best for them supplement wise but it can be cooked the same way with olive or vegetable oil, which is probably better for them. i know the olive oil will help in keeping the coat nice. winter greens can also be switched out for whatever combination of frozen veggies. this has also been a hit with the spring selection (includes baby corn, carrots, broccoli, broccoli stems, cauliflower, yellow beans and peas). string beans added in also goes over very well.

for my older and my sickies a small bottle of ensure too boost energy and help raise the immune system. for my very thin ones or very sick ones i use ensure plus which has a higher concentration of nutrients. this has pulled a few rats of mine back from the brink for a little while. i am currently looking into the similac advanced baby formula for premi human babies. i am still researching it though and have not yet used it.

i also give mine cooked chicken bones for protein and calcium. there is also a lot of vitamins and minerals in the bone marrow that are good for them. if packaged right you can use them as a puzzle toy as well as your basic chew toy.

the fruitsations fruit cups-there are many different flavors and fruit combinations. its in a sauce so is easy for sickies to eat as well. they are supposed to use only organic fruits with no added sugar.

Back