Gone without a goodbye...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tara

One of my boys, Bern, is dead this morning. Last night he was asleep in the hammock and didn't want to come out, I didn't think anything strange of this because he has never particularly liked being messed with, and this morning I found him in one of the nest houses, curled up and cold. He had no respitory symptoms that were out of the ordinary for him, and his brother seems fine, if a little distressed. Bern was two years old (about) I have no way of knowing for sure.... He looks like he's just sleeping... this is... I dont even know. Has anyone else ever had this happen, just gone, and no warning?

I'm so sorry Tara. Ya, I had it happen a few times, it could have been his heart. It's small comfort but at least there was no suffering. :cry:

Yes. Its sad but at that age its also a blessing in disguise. No lingering, no pain, no illness, just quietly gone.

I dream of those peaceful deaths myself for my ratters.

I am sorry Terra, it still hurts a lot. ((hugs))

It's selfish, but I didn't get to say goodbye. I am glad he went peacefully. Just regretting passing him over last night without a closer look when he wouldn't come out of the hammock with his brother for a treat. Should have thought that was suspicious... should have lots of stuff in my life.

I sure do know what you mean. When I lost my Sully like that, my first one, I cried so hard but mostly for me, I thought it was so unfair, he should have warned me first. :cry:

yeah. I cant think... right now. but I agree when you grieve you grieve for yourself, mostly, and that the dead... they dont feel any pain anymore, so they're ok.
oh, jeez I'm just falling apart.

I'm sure this doesn't sound overly pleasant, but when its winter here and the ground is frozen I put their remains in a ziploc bag and then a non see through grocery bag and put them in the freezer until it warms up. In the BACK of the freezer mind you.

I'm very sorry about your little guy.

I have had it happen a handful of times, I attribute it to heart conditions as well. I think that heart conditions are far more common in rats than we think. Sometimes you can see symptoms and sometimes you can't.
It hits you hard when they go without warning like that, but as others have already mentioned, it is better than a lingering illness.
I'm sorry.

I wrap my kiddos in fleece, then in a bag, then into a special gift box, and into the freezer they go until I can get up to my mom's and bury them along the fenceline up there.

I'm so sorry for the passing of your baby :roseopen: it's far too easy to have regrets and what ifs that we can't do anything about or even know, it's good to know that your guy passed without suffering :grouphug2:

This group is so wonderful. I cant tell you how glad I am I joined. I wish I could thank everyone personally for the kind words and friendship. I just want everyone here to know that I have felt very welcome, and that everyone's been so friendly.... it's the first thing I do when I sit down at the computer at night, is come see my friends at Jorats. Thanks everyone.

Back