Godmother's adorable babies: photos

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
*squeeeeeee* that little black self!!
If I weren't so far away I would steal her in a second!

I have always wanted a black self, but one has yet to come my way... my goodness she is adorable.

OMG, it was quite the day. Marked the rest of the babies' tails, to Colour code each litter. Put the moms together for some sister bonding while I tackled the baby intros and cage cleaning and reorganizing. My husband took photos of each baby while I held them. Right now I'm so tired I can't recall whether there were six or seven boys!

The babies were introed effortlessly, as expected. I put them in each of the three cages, so they would feel even more at home with all the smells. And there were plenty of smells. Those babes know how to dirty up cages.

I took the divider from the top of the CN and made a new cage space for the lot of them. They are old enough now for hammocks and ramps, so I made the cage interesting for them.

Then I added babies to the new space. They all hid; it had been a long day for them. Then, after a quick supper, I added back the moms and watched.

Hallelujah, no problems!! The moms ran around like crazy, more interested in securing the perimeter than in looking after the babies. Now that the lights are out and I've been away from the room for a while, the other babies have come out of hiding. Wellie's babies are the bravest, odd because their mom is the most timid.

Now I am exhausted, and I have to write a report before going to bed. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Here is the little nakie boy with one of his sisters.

image.jpg

Here is their new cage setup before I added rats. It will be a pigstye by tomorrow night, though!

I am so fed up with the interface. It will not let me post more than one photo at a time, even though I know that everyone else can do it.

image.jpg

Last edited:
They are going to have a blast, especially the two babies on their own. So many brothers and sisters! Any little ones I have found climb like monkeys in the CN. It will be fun just sitting and watching them go. :D

Once they got over the fear of an unfamiliar environment, they were off and running! A few timid ones tend to hide in corners behind litter boxes, but most were running around, hopping in and out of the wheels, zooming up the ramps and across the hammock highway. Then everybody got tired, and they are flopped out.

Funny thing is that most of them are up in the small box on the shelf, ignoring the two larger boxes downstairs. Go figure! The moms don't seem to care which babies are theirs, and I haven't seen them nursing anyone yet.

Glad the intro worked out well.

Very concerned about the cage setup.
You babies just turned 4 weeks old and five week old babies have been known to popcorn out of hammocks and die as a result of their injuries.

Last edited:
These little ones are agile climbers, and there is no way to prevent all risks. My biggest worry is the way they wedge themselves into tight spaces. So far, so good. They are loving the extra space and things to do.

Last edited:
I'll be curious to hear if the mommas will still nurse them. Do the mommas hang out together? Or do they have separate nests under construction?

There is a big difference between not being able to prevent all risks and creating risks.

Glad everything is going well.

I think its safe the way you have it. When I had young babies they would climb the side of the cage no matter what I did. I always had high hammocks and levels just in case they fell.

I haven't seen the moms nursing, but they spent much of last evening racing around the cage to check it out. I suspect that they still nurse the babes a little, because I've seen prominent nipples on Gardenia.
The little nakie boy is the runt of Macey's litter, and he's scared of his own shadow, so ill have to find a way to slip him some extra food.

They are very aware of the height of the shelves, appropriately cautious. And do they ever run and climb fast! Most come to the cage doors when I come into the room, rather than hiding in the nest boxes the way they did when in the former cage setup.

I keep wondering whether I can find a spot for the mesh baby wheel. It's light and easier for the smaller ones to use.

At 4 weeks that setup is perfect don't worry...they are agile enough and by 3.5 weeks I usually give them full rein on a cage setup :)

Oh definitely fit in the smaller wheel for a short time, but you'll need to switch to adult soon, so if you have the room for that instead, you might as well use that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back