Gloria is not doing good

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm trying...but it's hard. She's my first rat, she's my baby. Just sucks when there's nothing you can really do for them. I'm going to keep watching her closely this week and see how she does...I have a feeling she wont' be with me for much longer. She seems so tired but then she'll have a burst of energy, she greeted me at the door today and actually took some treats so that was good. But she's definitely not her self.

Oh poor Gloria. :sad3:

How old is she?

I want to come here and give you some positive news, but I'm afraid I might only be able to agree with what others suggested....an internal mass. :sad3: The reason for this, I just lost my dear Reina 2 weeks ago from just that. I noticed one day that she wasn't so interested in her food. Over the next two days, I also noticed that Reina was sleeping a lot more and sticking to her house. Something was definitely off. I made an appt for the vet for the next day, then picked her up and started feeling around in her belly (the boy we lost before her, had a mass in his tummy too...so I'm kind of prone to always feeling bellies when they start to age). I knew right away that Reina was in trouble. It felt like her bladder was very full. The vet had already closed for the night...so I gave her a little pain medication (per a phone call to my vet at home), and tried to keep her comfortable through the night. I kept feeling her blankets and she wasn't peeing. By morning, the mass in her belly was twice the size it had been. I felt HORRIBLE for Reina. We got her right in the vet the next morning. By that time, she was clearly not well at all, and rather limp. The vet said it was indeed Reina's bladder and she could also feel a smaller mass that may have been blocking her from peeing. :sad3: We had absolutely no choice but to let Reina go. She was in pain and we had to free her from that.

I also had another boy, who displayed many of the symptoms you are mentioning. He was old and had lost the use of his back legs. He was also very fat (which was why I didn't realize he had mass in his belly). Vinnie would lay in his cuddle cup all day. We had a water bottle right next to his bed and he drank a lot. We had to change his blankets 3 times a days because he would also pee constantly. Vinnie was 33 months old, when we he finally looked ready for the bridge. After he was 'gone' the vet felt around in his belly and found his bladder was just huge. Poor Vinnie's bladder was always full, and all that peeing was just it releasing urine when it got beyond full....Vinnie never acted in pain and I couldn't feel his bladder around all his fat. :sad3:

Sorry for the scary stories. But if your baby girl has a mass in her belly that's causing her problems with going to the bathroom (intestinal tumors can cause diareeha, when all that can pass by it are fluids), she could be in pain and just miserable. Is she eating? If they stop eating, that's always the decision maker for me. If they aren't eating, they are starving...and that's a horrible way to go.

I would definitely see about getting her back to the vet to see what that mass is.

I'm so very very sorry about Gloria. I do hope this is something other than a mass or her bladder. :sad3:

The stronger our bond with them the harder it is to leave our own feelings out of the decision, and just base it on balancing their chances of recovery against what we can pick up from the kid about their comfort, and their desire to either fight or let go. Decisions are so hard any time because they can't put things into words for us, either their wishes or their pain. We have to try to close our hearts and focus on just seeing them and what they are feeling and would want.
I always try to put myself in their place and decide what I would want for myself in their position. I give them a little more leeway cause they are stronger than I am, and their needs are simpler & their expectations smaller, but no living thing would want to suffer unto death when there is no relief possible here on earth.
Death is not a bad thing at all (except for those left behind), suffering unto it is.
If she cannot recover, and her daily suffering outweighs her daily joy, then there is a reason why they call euthanasia the Final Gift.
My heart goes out to you.
(but I do so understand wanting her to be able to stay at home and pass in her own little world. That's how it should go for all of them, but not if their world has become a torture to them)

I'm taking her to the vet on the 8th. We'll find out from the vet then what I should do...probably have to put her down if she doesn't leave me before then :(

Took some pictures of Gloria today. She seemed to be moving around a little more but it takes so much out of her once she settles down again she is breathing so hard.

You can kinda see how on her side that lump that comes out. I'm quite sure it must be a tumor or something, it feels like it shouldn't be there.
gloria.jpg

glorianotfeelingood.jpg

gloria2.jpg

She's been enjoying all the cuddles which is so unlike her she was never a cuddly girl and now she'll just lay there close to me for hours and give me kisses. She was never very kissy either, she must appreciate when I'm doing for her I figure.

Poor sweetie... I had a girl with a tumour wrapped around her omentum and pancreas. She let me know when it was too much for her. :sad3:

Back