Gizmo & Nibs - My older girls from North Star Rescue

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got back from the vet. Here's what we've got so far:

For Gizmo: He also suspects inner ear infection over PT. He cited her coordination & I think I caught something about her eyes/response (but not sure there). He agreed on the Baytril & Doxy at the dosages Shelagh recommended, for a full 30 days, if not longer if needed. He thought that was enough treatment/medication for now unless her signs progress.

For Nibs: He was a bit worried about her runny stools, hoping they were fear poops, which I believe they were. He said luckily her lungs sound clear, which is good. He also agreed on the Baytril/Doxy at the dosages Shelagh recommended, and said he wants to keep her as stress free as possible until she gets in better condition (so, no more intros - just rest). He said if she gets any worse, that we can try the steroids/cortisone shot (something more aggressive, pretty much), but for now wants to stick to the Baytril/Doxy. He also seconded that a nebulizer would be good & gave me a bag of saline solution, and said if/when the time comes he can definitely prescribe medications for the nebulizer.

So, I'm ordering the nebulizer Shelagh recommended & will begin that treatment once it arrives.

& Bug's (I think he said hernia, but it doesn't quite sound right so perhaps I muddled it), basically what looks like a big, reappearing ball - the result of a rough neuter... he said that he would still leave it be unless it begins to affect Bugs peeing & bowel movements. Bug has had it for a year now & it hasn't seemed to bother him any.

So, not a bad vet appointment. Totaled about $125, which I thought was good for all 3 rats, Baytril, Doxy & the bag of saline with 2 needles and contraption to go with it (I'm sure it has to do with the saline bag, but I'll photograph it & as Shelagh if I need it).

sounds like you'll have your hands full with medicating these new loves plus watching Bug,
glad the vet visit went so well
do you have a new vet? I remember you had one who fought with you over the dosages, always giving too little, this sounds like a much better vet!
and the bill isn't bad either, I usually spend that much on one rat and dont' get enough meds besides :p

give them a kiss from a member of their fan club (me) please
:heart:

@ Petunia: Actually, the girls are great at medding. I mix each concentration of Baytril & Doxy into strawberry syrup from the pills provided, and I get down to the strongest concentration I can, so my Baytril ends up around .1ml each dose & my Doxy is around .04ml each dose - nice tiny amounts. I squirt both the Baytril/Doxy into spoons & mush fresh banana in. They simply lap it down & love it, thank god.

The only thing really taking up more time now was the intros, which are on hold, and now the separate play times. I've been taking A LOT of time this past week to interact with all the rats, so my orders are a bit slower going which will have to change so I can stay caught up, but other than that they really aren't much more time consuming at this point. I also ordered the nebulizer today, which should be here within a week, so there will be a bit of time there but hopefully we'll see some improvement.

All in all, totally worth it. The girls are absolute dolls and luckily everyone seems happy with the boys on the upper half, girls on the lower half arrangement. Hopefully soon we can get Nibs respiratory under control and get them happily living together.

& yes, I've had this vet for awhile now & he keeps impressing me more each time. He's VERY comfortable & up to date with the rat dosages most of us expect, and very willing to discuss all treatment options, even when they aren't his first choice. & he takes ample time to discuss things with you, why he would or wouldn't do a treatment, etc. What's really funny is this time he actually just said... "I'm just going to give you the pills and let you figure the dosages out. You know what you're doing." :giggle:

Off the get some rat laundry done & then some sewing. & I'll be sure to get the bubbins LOTS of schmoozes from you Althea!

Nibs is finally sounding quieter with her wheezy breathing. Normally I can hear her from my bed, and both last night and this morning is was very quiet. I took her out on the bed last night too & she handled it much better this time.

Back