Girls' New Cage/Paint?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cait

Hey all. My parents brought home a new cage for John's girls, but uh... It's not in the best shape. The wire levels are a bit rusty, to the point I don't feel comfortable putting the girls in it. Not that wire levels are any good in the first place, but still. So I was just going to toss it... But then I was looking at it, the levels are only attached by c-rings... I could easily take them out. The exterior wire and basic "frame" are okay, not rusty, but paint is missing. The pan isn't in the best shape, either, but it's not *horrible*. I'd like to repaint it, but my thing is, with what? Do they make non toxic spray paints? (Just asking I know that's going to be a no, it even sounds silly. :p )

So since I'm taking the levels out, I obviously have to replace them. I'm probably just going to use fabric (fleece) for it, but I'd like to get some permanent ones, maybe made of coroplast.

Anyhoo, here it is.

cage.jpg

and the pan. See what I mean?
pan.jpg

Do you guys think it's even worth it? I'm not sure what the cage actually is, but it measures 30x14x30.

Edit: It's an All Living Things, 3 level penthouse. Still has the sticker on the pan! :p But I can't find a picture of it on the internet, or any information. Just the two level penthouse. Hmm.

I knew I had read something, thanks!

Do you think it would be okay to use the pan as it is? Or is it too yuck? It's not dirty, just paint missing.

It's doesn't look too bad, it'd be okay for a little more use. If you notice it smelling worse or quicker than normal, it'll probably be that, though. Yay galvanized! :roll: You can try putting something in the base with a lip, so hopefully not too much pee/poop will get directly on the metal. Maybe a draining board or something?

Or, if the girls don't maul plastic, you could try making your own base from Corplast!

javakittie said:
Or, if the girls don't maul plastic, you could try making your own base from Corplast!

Brilliant! That might just work. I haven't a clue if they chew plastic, but they have a house deal in their cage that remains bite mark free (which I find odd) but it sounds promising. Mwahahaa!

Now to find a sign shop!

Kick butt!! Thanks again!!! :D

And yes... Guinea pig people are VERY inventive! Lots of great ideas from them.

My only wish is sturdier, smaller spaced cubes.. Ohh, the cage I could create!!!

You could also look around to see if you can find a plastic container or lid large enough ...

As for levels, I sometimes add small levels by cable tying very sturdy cookie cooling racks to the cage and covering them with dollar store dish drain trays cut to fit and cable tied on.

I've seen a few of those grids with smaller squares... But it was some time ago and I haven't seen them since! I wish I could find them... Could you imagine how big that thing could be?? 0.0

I spent an hour taking out the levels. Then I scrub scrub scrubbed that thing! It was pretty blech! But it looks so much better now.

There was a little corner level I took out and cleaned, then put back in. I was lucky with the levels! I have one of those little hamster play pens, and the panels fit for levels PERFECTLY! I cable tied them in and bull clipped fleece over them as well as the corner level. I also added a fabric level/hammock that will work to fill the dead space. It looks sparse, but that's because I don't have all their toys or them here to fill it!

Cait, I have one of those cages too! I retired it because the black coating was coming off and I just wanted a bigger cage anyway. However, If you wanted to replace the bottom of the cage, you might be able to get one to fit through Martin's Cages on-line. As far as the open spaces inside the cage, you could purchase some of the tubes that connect called Fun-nels from Super Pet. You can use them for rats, Ferrets, G pigs, ect. They can be hung from inside the cage and they are a fun way for your rats to exercise and climb about. There are also some corner style and ramp style mesh levels that you can buy in the Rabbit Section of your local pet store. They can be wired-tied into the cage to make them secure. Also, if you get needlepoint plastic from the Craft Store, you can cut them to size and secure them with plastic zip ties on the floors and ramps to cover up the icky levels and plus reduce injury/bumble foot to your rats. It can be easily scrubbed with detergent and rinsed in the shower. I use this in my cage and it works great. Good luck with your cage!
Julie

Back