Ginger has a head tilt

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lindsayfawn

I swear we just don't get a break *sighs* I was just going to clean the babies cage and noticed that Ginger has a head tilt going to the right. She didn't have that last night. We still have baytril, metacam, and the ear cleaning stuff we had to give to Leia. Would she be too young for the ear cleaning stuff? She's about 2 months or so.
She's not rolling around at all but it's very obvious head tilt. She's been stuffed up from the day we got her would this be the cause of an ear infection or can rats catch an ear infection somehow?

Don't know about the ear cleaning stuff ...
but she needs baytril, clavamox, + a steriod asap

Alex's boy Gus has very bad head tilt and that is what I am treating him with
.... babysitting him since last Friday ...

I have baytril here. Will she need all the other stuff too or will just baytril be fine?
I called the vet but she wasn't in the vet tech said the ear cleaning stuff would be fine to use for her. So I'm going to try that too 'cause that was helping to break up build up with Leia's ear.

Do you know what 'causes an ear infection? The babies were in the same cage with Leia would they have gotten it from her?

she needs baytril, clavamox, + a steriod asap

Fotr the steriod, I'm using pedipred (predisone) but godmother used medicam as the steriod with a girl who had head tilt.

The steriod reduces inflamation and helps relieve symptoms and prevent premanent damanage.
The two antibiotics get rid of the inner ear infection.

ok I have metacam I'll try that then. That's what the Dr. Dunnett had Leia on was the metacam and baytril and this ear cleaning stuff.

We've never had a girl with a head tilt till Leia and now Ginger...seems kinda strange.

Does anyone know what 'causes them to get an ear infection?

no I only have baytril and metacam here right now and this ear cleaning stuff Dr. Dunnett had said to use for ear infection. Ginger's acting normal, hyper baby, but she does roll a little when you put her in the cage and she's trying to figure out which way is up and down. She's taking the meds like a trooper though so that's good.

I was just wondering how long are you supposed to do the meds for? Ginger doesn't seem to be getting any worse but I can't tell if she's getting better. She's still very hyper baby. How long will the head tilt stay?

If you caught it quickly and treated it aggressively before there was permant damanage, it should start going away very soon. If there is permanent damange it will never go away, but the meds should keep it from, getting worse.
I would treat for at least 6 weeks, but have never had a rat with head tilt before.

I have only had one experience with inner ear infection, with a 1 yo female I had just adopted. She was staggering all over the place, running in circles, etc.

She showed some improvement very quickly, within a couple of days. I was told she could go off the Metacam after a few days, but she was on the abs for three weekks I think.

So should I just be giving her the baytril now and not the metacam? Ang and I noticed last night that she didn't see as titly looking! So I'm hoping it is so and our eyes aren't playing tricks on us. We really need a break from sick ratties. It's been such a hard year.
Last night we also put the babies in the top part of the FN with some of the nicer girls. They seem really happy to be with some older rats, it'll be good for them I think and being on the 3rd level I doubt they'll try and escape.

lol I could try. We're still doing intros with some of the bullies, they're so weird. They'll be fine on the couch but as soon as they're near their playarea and cage the beast comes out lol little buggers.

Here's a video of Ginger we took today so you guys can see the little girl.

I hope the head tilt doesn't stay long. At least she's still acting normal
gingerjoyclarice.jpg

Back