Gibbon – Jun. 20 2010 to October 23, 2010 :’( :’(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

Gibbon died last night at 3:20 am. His brother had inflicted a bite wound on his muzzle underneath his nose. I had seen these before, but they usually heal up well. Not for Gibbon.
sad.gif

oct22Gibbonsnose.jpg

He was acting very sorry for himself, but some rats will do that even over a toe bite. They will act quiet, and lethargic but later on will just jump up and be fine. Rats often do hunker down when injured until they are better. But Gibbon’s muzzle wouldn’t stop bleeding. He wouldn’t allow pressure on it even through I tried, and I didn’t have any flour, but even then it was too close to his nose to try. So I just left it, and he lay flat on my lap as I talked to him and stroked him. Later on, it seemed to have stopped, but it took a very very long time. His ears were pale and cold, so I put down a bowl of Ensure and water, and he drank some water and then devoured the Ensure that Pocky had left. Then I noticed his nose was bleeding again…sigh :/ I curled up around him to keep him warm and he slept, then I dozed off. I woke up to a strange vibration, and found that he had gotten himself inside the liner of the comforter and seemed panicky, so I turned the light on, found the hole to get him out and pulled him out. This is when I knew something else was going on. His body was vibrating, and then he started a mild upward jerk of his head, then the snapping of the teeth. I held him and talked to him through his seizures until he was gone. I am thinking he must’ve had a clotting disorder but its still a terrible shock.
undecided.gif

LA told me soon after they arrived on Tuesday night that Rhesus was the one who needed me, and I thought that was funny since the lightning bolt that hit me was Gibbon. Now I know WHY Rhesus was going to need me, since he was going to be alone after this night. No more Monkey Boys…just one left.
tearful.gif

I felt I had to name this boy quickly and he was named within half an hour of meeting him.
oct19Gibbon.jpg

oct19otherrex5.jpg

oct20Gibbon2.jpg

oct21GibbonandRehsus.jpg

oct21RhesusandGibbon.jpg

oct22Gibbon.jpg

Oct21Gibbonandme.jpg

So sorry Shelagh :hugs:

(as a side note, I read somewhere that you should apply ice to nose bleeds. Unfortunately it really hard to do on a ratty, I've tried myself)

I'm so so sorry Shelagh...

Some of these heavy bleeds coming from nose could actually be a break in the root of a tooth. It's impossible to stop.

lilspaz68 said:
Jo, the blood was coming from his sliced lip. It was similar to Meeko's injury but not as bad. The blood never came from his nose.
Oh wow... I never thought they could bleed that much from a cut. :( That is really scary.

OH! No. That's so ridiculously unfair! >.<

We were all expecting to hear and see so much more about this fuzzy pair... and now there's only half left :sad3:

We'll miss you little fuzzy monkey.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Coming from a person that has a bleeder here, I can fully understand the feelings you were going through. Hours and hours of worry and panic. :hugs:
RIP Gibbon :heart:

I don't know how I missed this one too, but I am sooo sorry Shelagh!! He was such a handsome boy and was lucky to have found his way to you, even if only for a short time. :hugs:

Back