Getting to know my boys... HELP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatsRGods

Okay, so about 3 weeks ago I adopted 2 rescue ratties (Mario & Sammy) that are about 4-5 months old.

I have been spending time with them everyday, but they still dont seem used to me. They are jumpy and run away from me. I have never had this problem before and I am so worried.
During playtime, I sit with them and they will crawl on me and check me out and climb on me but if I go to pet them, they run away. Contact is only on their terms, which I respect.
I dont want to upset them. But geez, they treat me like I have a major case of cooties!
Mario is my speed demon. He is hyper and FAST. And he can jump high. He is more adventurous and definitely the dominate one, but ironically he is more frightened of me than Sammy.
Sammy is more laid back but I still see aprehension when I go near him. He can only tolerate playtime for like a 1/2 hour and then he is dying to get back in his cage! (This is soooo weird to me!) I have to close the cage door during playtime ,or he would never stay out.
I have had them lick yogurt & avocado off me to bond with them. Given them granola as a treats during playtimes to get them to come close to me.
I'm really trying here, what else can I do?
I have always gotten my ratties at around 6 weeks old, so I am not used to this.
Basically, I feel rejected. :(

Also, I have an older male rat by himself that I am hoping to introduce them to soon, but I dont feel comfortable starting the process because I want the new boys to be comfortable with me first.
(I just imagine having them all in the bathtub together, and Ennis (my old man) going after one of them, & me trying to rescue them and them trying to get away from me too! It will be traumatic for all parties involved)

Sorry so long, but I'm really stressed here.
(and exhausted, when I come home from work I have to make time for 2 separate rattie play times with my new boys and alone time with Ennis. I literally have no time to myself during the week-- I have 3 dogs that need attention to) :wallbang: :gaah: :wallbang:

I can sure understand you feeling rejected.

Have you tried forced socializing them? Put on a tshirt and a sweatshirt and throw them in between for long periods of time several times a day?

Also, you could start intros with the older male, he might teach the babies to trust you and show them how to love a human. :)

Back