Getting the new boys acclimated?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glitchiq

I just rescued my two PEW boys, Angus and Mario, yesterday. They're still brand new, so it's natural that they aren't acclimated or settled in yet. In terms of interaction, all I've done is leave the cage doors open while I chill in front of it and pass them the occasional treat. Both of them are willing to take food from my hand. This morning I waited until they crawled into their tube, then I lifted it out and let them run loose on the floor for awhile while I laid down and watched. Sometimes they'd come up to me nervously and let me feed them more treats (Kashi puff cereal). I had to pick them up when it was time to go back in, and they weren't big fans of that, but I kept it as quick as possible.

I've only ever had two girls before them, who I brought home as 5-6 week old babies. I think because they were so young, it was easier to get used to being picked up and handled. These boys are 5 months old, and I get the feeling that while they were socialized, maybe it wasn't extremely extensive. And I don't think that they can see all that well because they have to head-weave everytime I speak so that they can focus on me.

Right now they're sleeping, all tuckered out after their excursion on the floor. Angus is extremely food motivated, while Mario is more hesitant about it. In the past (before them), I've used the bath tub method (sitting with them in an empty tub while I read so they get used to me), the blanket method (letting them run around under a blanket that I draped over me), and the bonding pouch method (letting them chill in a hoodie pocket/in my sweatshirt while I watch tv or read).

I just wanted to know what methods all of you use to socialize ratties/what you think would work best for these boys. Whatever I do, I don't want to rush it; they've come a long way, and I want them to know that they can 100% trust me.

Last edited:
The boys are doing well; just this morning Angus let me give him cheek scritches while he was snoozing with Mario. So far petting is okay with him if he's sleepy, and I'm working on it with Mario. Suggestions are still welcome! I'm waiting on anything that involves picking them up for the time being; they aren't big fans of that yet. Is that something that will come with time? Or are there ways to get them used to being handled? This was never something I faced with my girls because they were so young, and neither one was ever skittish or reserved.

Our two new guys were in a shelter for nine months so they aren't too fond of being held either. Although they have finally decided hammocks are good! You're most likely right about their eyesight - red eyes usually cannot see well at all that is why they do the head sway.

The methods you mentioned are all good. We're just taking them out and letting them run on the couch or bed. With one of our previous boys who didn't want to be touched at all - I would scoop him up and give him a treat, make him let me hold him just for a few seconds, put him back in the cage and give him another treat as I told him he was a good boy. Then I repeated this over and over time after time, day after day, month and month until he finally realized we were okay.

Our two new guys were in a shelter for nine months so they aren't too fond of being held either. Although they have finally decided hammocks are good! You're most likely right about their eyesight - red eyes usually cannot see well at all that is why they do the head sway.

The methods you mentioned are all good. We're just taking them out and letting them run on the couch or bed. With one of our previous boys who didn't want to be touched at all - I would scoop him up and give him a treat, make him let me hold him just for a few seconds, put him back in the cage and give him another treat as I told him he was a good boy. Then I repeated this over and over time after time, day after day, month and month until he finally realized we were okay.

A few days ago I started holding them. Angus will tolerate it if he's in the mood, but after a minute or so he gets antsy and tries to burrow through the crook of my arm onto the floor so he can run around. I mostly pick him up with bare hands, but sometimes I'll burrito-wrap him in a fleece and hold him. Mario will squeak softly a couple of times and tried his darndest to escape. I've only ever held him in a fleece because he's leery of bare hands.

I'd love to have them on the bed, but I don't trust them enough not to poo all over it. Sometimes (not always with Angus, but always with Mario), they'll get nervous when I hold them, and then they go everywhere. And it's not like a regular poo; it's - and this is going to sound odd - but extra soft and pungent. I've had to clean a couple of shirts and more than a couple of the fleece I use. The weird thing is, they know not to go to the bathroom outside of the cage. I've let them run around on the floor a few times and there's never been any poos, but the second I hold them, poos. I know it's just because they're nervous, but I honestly don't know how to hold them without almost immediately putting them back because something desperately needs cleaning off.

I am happy to report that petting has been going relatively well, if I just reach into the cage instead of holding them. They're also getting more comfortable coming up to me, which I'm happy about (the treats are working, aha!).

joinrats.com have excellent suggestions and advice for trust training.

Thank you, I'll give it a look!

Wow, it's been awhile since I've posted anything about how the boys are doing! I'm happy to report that things are going well. I can pick Angus up pretty much without a hitch, even though he'll avoid my hands sometimes. Mario is definitely not a fan of being picked up, but I always knew he was the shyer brother. Both of them will come up to me for their treats, no problem. Lately I've been allowing them to latch onto the treat, petting them for a few seconds, and then saying "good boy" and letting them have the treat. Hopefully this increases the correlation between me and yummy treats in their minds, even though I'm pretty sure I'm already "the treat lady" to them. Also, I've been letting them run around on the bed lately for longer and longer periods of time. I'm happy to report that there have been no poos left in the bed! A little pee, but I'm happy to have them comfortable enough with me to climb all over me and burrow in the covers. For some reason, being on the bed really warms them up. When they're on the bed, they're more receptive to petting and holding and really any sort of interaction. So we're definitely making progress! Adopting 5 month old boys is definitely an entirely different beast than 5-6 week old girls (my last pair), but for some reason that's why every success with them means that much more to me.

Back