Getting ready to say goodbye

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitsa

It seems my old man is finally starting to feel his age and is getting ready to say goodbye. Three years together, it still feels like I got him and his brothers just yesterday though.

The next couple months are going to be hard, two of my first girls are three also and its starting to show. My other baby boy is scared of anything that moves and has a temper so i'm not sure what to do when Marks says goodbye.

So sad...it is the worst part of owning and loving rats. Their life span is so short. Knowing they had the best life we could possible give them helps.

I have just lost three of my favourite rats that I have ever had in one month. this was only a short whole ago. i always want to squeeze my Joony she was the most social and friendly rat there was. I still tear up. one of my boys used to ride in the car with my bf and i and stay the night with us whereever we go. he got sick so fast and there was nothing i could do so i had to have him put to sleep. that tore me up inside.

Sorry it took so long to reply, getting ready for Christmas and Christmas eve.
He didn't leave last night but he's slept most of the day away, only woke up to get some love, food and water.
Also seems his poor ear got scratched last night. Not sure if he did it or if his cage mate did. Got scared when I saw the blood.

Do you hear sniffles? Signs of a URI possibly? Maybe he just needs a quick check at the vet, they might find something out? I know your boy is an old man and thats probably all it is, feeling his age, but sometimes they can push for 4yrs or even 6! Dunno, just one second thought other then his age, sorry he's going down hill :( I had my first boy for 4yrs and he went down hill fast after he turned 4.

Checked him over several times, nothing seems strange except for the scratched ear. He's never had any health problems except for having trouble using his back legs. I know what caused that but can't remember the name.

I've been debating on taking him to the vet. Hate the one I've been taking my babies to. The owner is the one who's been seeing them and she's just not very good with rats. Took one of my boys in because he had an abscess and she told me that it was a tumor an with how fast it was growing that he would die soon. She was so surprised when they went to stick a needle in only to get puss.

Back